PDA

View Full Version : vortex viper

Pages : [1] 2

eddiesindian
09-03-2018, 11:58 PM
While shooting out to distance with a buddy who's savage rig sports a nice vortex viper, I noticed his poi shifted tremendously. Checked all the obvious and upon future inspection, found fragments inside the scope. In other words......his high end vortex failed.
Here's my question:
How has your vortex scope held up for you vortex users?

Robinhood
09-04-2018, 12:10 AM
I would not call a viper high end. Vipers are known to self destruct at the most inopportune time.

If it was a razor we have an issue.

tufrthnails
09-04-2018, 08:26 PM
No issues with either of my vipers. One on a .270 win and one on a 6.5 CM. My cousin has had no issues with the one mounted on his 7mm RUM.

eddiesindian
09-04-2018, 09:52 PM
Felt sorry for my shooting buddy. I got him started on loading for accuracy with excellent results. Both of us Hitting 4 in clay pigeons at 1018 yards really gave him a spark. Then it all went whacker on him from 1 week to the next.

PhilC
09-05-2018, 01:27 PM
No problems with mine, which specific one does your buddy have? There are 6 - Viper, Viper HS, Viper HST, Viper HSLR, Viper PST, Viper PST Gen II.

Rob01
09-05-2018, 02:51 PM
Have 11 including a couple PSTs and no issues. Have him call Vortex and they will have him fixed up and back shooting quickly.

stomp442
09-05-2018, 06:02 PM
Every Viper I have ever owned and multiple (like well into double digits) of my clients have had issues with Viper scopes. Vortex sells a really nice paperweight. I try to steer as many people as I can away from a Viper even the HS, HST and PST are pure junk. Spend the extra money for a warranty you will never have to use.

tufrthnails
09-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Every Viper I have ever owned and multiple (like well into double digits) of my clients have had issues with Viper scopes. Vortex sells a really nice paperweight. I try to steer as many people as I can away from a Viper even the HS, HST and PST are pure junk. Spend the extra money for a warranty you will never have to use.

This is news to me. Lots of the guys I know run vipers and never heard of a problem aside from the random I dropped my weapon off a ridge or accidents like that.

eddiesindian
09-05-2018, 07:55 PM
No problems with mine, which specific one does your buddy have? There are 6 - Viper, Viper HS, Viper HST, Viper HSLR, Viper PST, Viper PST Gen II.
Pst

stomp442
09-06-2018, 09:31 AM
This is news to me. Lots of the guys I know run vipers and never heard of a problem aside from the random I dropped my weapon off a ridge or accidents like that.

9 out of 10 have developed tracking and return to zero issues. Others I have had the reticle spin when adjusting the power and in one case the entire windage assembly falling off in my hand while turning. Not just the knob the entire thing. I think if you don't dial for range a whole lot they seem to hold up better but if you like to dial and return to zero and use the scope as intended you will have problems eventually. I cringe every time a client brings me his rifle to tune up and he has a brand new viper he wants to mount.

tufrthnails
09-06-2018, 06:44 PM
9 out of 10 have developed tracking and return to zero issues. Others I have had the reticle spin when adjusting the power and in one case the entire windage assembly falling off in my hand while turning. Not just the knob the entire thing. I think if you don't dial for range a whole lot they seem to hold up better but if you like to dial and return to zero and use the scope as intended you will have problems eventually. I cringe every time a client brings me his rifle to tune up and he has a brand new viper he wants to mount.

That makes since why we haven't seen issues. We are hunters that rarely get out to stretch the distances past 300 yards (2 or 3 times a year). Generally being under 300 yards in hunting situations I rarely need to adjust. Just curious what is your go to in the Viper price range.

stomp442
09-06-2018, 07:10 PM
I spend the little extra money and go with the Leupold VX3i or VX3i LRP. Those are my preferred scopes but I have had good luck with the Sightron SIII and even Nikon Monarch 3s and 5s.

tufrthnails
09-06-2018, 07:53 PM
I spend the little extra money and go with the Leupold VX3i or VX3i LRP. Those are my preferred scopes but I have had good luck with the Sightron SIII and even Nikon Monarch 3s and 5s.

Thanks stomp. I'll keep that in the back of my mind if I manage to start getting back out to shoot longer ranges. Talk about a deteriorating skill set.

eddiesindian
09-06-2018, 11:11 PM
Glass is nice on the vortex, but mechanically?....not so.
What's ironic is that I've had a BSA 6-24-44 that I purchased 8 years ago that's been bolted to 3 different rigs and the turrets have been used extensively. Sure the glass isn't all that but the dam thing is spot on. Been tracking and holds zero every time. 3500 worth of pills down my 308 5r barrel. Wore the barrel out but the dam scope won't break. Sitting side by side shooting with the likes of leos, vortex,swav, us,zeiss and I'm hitting my objectives tit for tat with a scope I bought from midway on sale for $149.95 8 years ago. Is it a nice scope? ....not really. Does it work? ...hell yes. With lifetime guarantee to boot. My shooting partners used to give me grief because of the scope. Once they saw the results they chose to leave me alone.

Rob01
09-07-2018, 07:37 AM
The Gen II PSTs were a big upgrade in knobs and glass from the original and are a good scope. I have e multiple friends who run them in matches and they have tracked true and have no issue with returning to zero. This is with shots out to 1200 yards in matches and a lot of knob turning. They are a good option in their price range.

Texas10
09-29-2018, 04:51 PM
My Viper HS suffers from a locked up reticle if I torque the rings over 17 in lbs. The rest of the time, after making an elevation adjustment, it takes a few shots before it settles in. I've since purchased a Sightron III and now would never go back. That being said, I've got an older Vortex Crossfire II that has crystal clear optics and behaves perfectly. Go figure!

yobuck
09-30-2018, 09:15 AM
My Viper HS suffers from a locked up reticle if I torque the rings over 17 in lbs. The rest of the time, after making an elevation adjustment, it takes a few shots before it settles in. I've since purchased a Sightron III and now would never go back. That being said, I've got an older Vortex Crossfire II that has crystal clear optics and behaves perfectly. Go figure!

Locked up reticle was my experience also when mounting one on my sons gun. Elevation moved ok but windage was locked up
to the point I couldn't zero the gun.
A call to the dealer got a fast response from a factory rep who told me to loosen the rings while he was on the phone.
I did and the turret then worked, and he then told me to buy a torque wrench and not to exceed 15 inch pounds of torque.
Problem was that didn't hold the scope from sliding in the rings from recoil with the magnum cartridge.
Got all kinds of good advise including adding a second set of rings and using the torque driver with my other hand before breakfast. lol
The problem went away when the scope got put back in the box where it still remains, and we re mounted a good one and tightened it down with a screw driver just like we always did.

geezerhood
09-30-2018, 05:28 PM

The old Horus Vision scopes would often have the side focus mechanism lock up if the ring was in just the wrong spot. As I recall the cause for stuff like this is tube walls that are too thin and clearance between the erector assembly and the inner wall of the tube that is too small. If a scope can't take at least 20 inch pounds of torque on the ring top screws without locking up, it is defective in my opinion. If you really need to use it as is, there are a couple of ways you can keep your scope from slipping with only 15 inch pounds on the rings - dusting the inside of the ring with powdered rosin or coating the bottom half of the inside of each ring with a silicone sealant such as GMS or electricians paint on wire sealer. Using wider rings will often work as well, with or without the rosin or sealant. I too gave up on the lower end Vortex models years ago and switched to Sightron. A no questions asked warranty is great, but not that great when your hunting trip or an important match is ruined by a scope failure.

CBIshooter
09-30-2018, 10:23 PM
Had to Vortex Viper HS both Parallax went out but Vortex fixed it for free but then I sold them

psharon97
09-30-2018, 11:17 PM
Have had 4 Viper PST 6-24x50 models, two in FFP, and two in SFP. The only issue I've had with mine is the crosshair illuminator went out on one of my scopes. I have had no issues with tracking or return to zero. I've ran one in a PRS match and still didn't have an issue with the scope.