PDA

View Full Version : Need another Savage!!??????

alien883
08-31-2018, 11:53 AM
Well, I think I need another Savage....But funds are low....so I will sell my B14 HMR Bergara 6.5 to afford another Savage. I do have an Athlon Ares BTR so glass is good...
I like to find me a 12FV or such, maybe an action only...or a 12 Target action and search for an affordable custom barrel.
Like to try 6mm CM since I have already two 6,5's...Another LRP came to my mind but its $1000+!
Since I am limited to factory ammo only I am sort of not sure about 260 cal....?
Stock would be a financial thingy, a Choate tactical, or a B&C tactical.
I do mostly paper of the bench and every now and then varmints.
I found me a good trustworthy gunsmith here that is very affordable too, so he could help in assembly.
Not sure where to start, but need to be on a budget for sure AND of course a super accurate rifle as end result!!
Any ideas, hints, people done that before or can help...
Thanks for any help.

Bunky-Shooter
09-01-2018, 09:17 AM
This is a really accurate rifle !! There are reports of shooters hitting 8 inch steel targets at 900 yards. I would invest in a good reloading station and tune your ammo for the rifle. Extreme accuracy also takes lots of time at the trigger shooting long distances. Factory match ammo will come with a high cost. A few things to think about before selling your rifle. Extreme accuracy does come with a cost..

alien883
09-06-2018, 09:17 PM
That is true....money is a bit tight and whatever I get out of this Bergara....has to do for my new Savage 12!!
I might just wait till Cabelas drops the FV back to $349???....It is right now $419.

RustyShackle
09-06-2018, 09:21 PM
You’re making this more difficult than it needs to be. I’ll trade you straight across for my 12FV in 6.5! :(

alien883
09-06-2018, 09:27 PM
sounds like a good deal....I am in if you take my damn dog and my wife too....no returns PLEASE!!!!!!!

RustyShackle
09-06-2018, 11:21 PM
Damn, I’m all wifed out? Wifed up?...at this time. Have one too many dogs also.

I think if I were to build a rifle tomorrow I would be using a Shilen or Criterion as my start. I would also watch the classifieds here for a gently used stock that met my needs.

SageRat Shooter
09-07-2018, 02:31 PM
I think if I were to build a rifle tomorrow I would be using a Shilen or Criterion as my start.

Go with the CBI (Criterion) I have 3 so far and every one of them shoots better than I do... It averages .5 MOA if I do my part... Sometimes I can get .25 MOA on a really "good" day. got 2 in 22-250 and another in 260 Rem. I'm a little biased obviously... Both are great barrels from what I hear of the Shilen barrels... You can probably just flip a coin.