PDA

View Full Version : 300 yds and beyond

Traveling_Fisher
08-30-2018, 10:06 AM
Can anyone who has used a 12FV at 300 yds or more please give info? I am contemplating a 223, but have found with my MSR recon that the only reliably accurate ammo at that range is Federal GMM 69gr. What about lighter varmint rounds? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie b
08-30-2018, 09:08 PM
The key to long range accuracy is when the bullet goes subsonic. Strange things can happen at that point. So most people shoot the heavier bullets at longer ranges because they retain velocity better.

Ammo. You need to try several. The Federal GMM is kind of a standard for factory ammo. Best bet is to try several and see. My Axis shoots below MOA with the Gold Medal, but, with bulk ammo it gets 2MOA or worse.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

celltech
08-30-2018, 09:26 PM
At 300 yards the difference between light and heavy bullets is only a couple inches of drop. I was shooting 5 inch plates at 550 with my 12FV and 69 grain TMKs one after the other. When you are ready to go longer then step up to the heavier rounds.

Texas10
08-30-2018, 09:33 PM
My sons 12FV in 223 shoots very well out to 750 yds. Best factory ammo is American Eagle 50 grain tipped (it uses the V-Max bullet) and is good to 500 yds. He has shot a number of 100 yd, 3 round groups that measure in the zero's with this ammo. Also very good is Australian Outback 69 SMK all the way to 750 yds. Of course with hand loads it can do a bit better.

Unless you get a turkey, that gun will shoot. Especially if you change out the stock to something better. He prefers to shoot off a bi-pod and the EABrown laminate is a very good, drop it in and go shoot it stock. Good bi-pod and squeeze bag and the PD's don't stand a chance. His scope is a Vortex Crossfire II. Great, low cost combination.

Traveling_Fisher
08-30-2018, 10:22 PM
At 300 yards the difference between light and heavy bullets is only a couple inches of drop. I was shooting 5 inch plates at 550 with my 12FV and 69 grain TMKs one after the other. When you are ready to go longer then step up to the heavier rounds.
I was getting larger groups and less predictable between 200 and 300 yds with multiple different factory loads. My expectation is the 12FV will be better, but as I get into reports, many seem to shoot at 100 yds and report great results. Thus the question.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Tapatalk

Traveling_Fisher
08-30-2018, 10:24 PM
My sons 12FV in 223 shoots very well out to 750 yds. Best factory ammo is American Eagle 50 grain tipped (it uses the V-Max bullet) and is good to 500 yds. He has shot a number of 100 yd, 3 round groups that measure in the zero's with this ammo. Also very good is Australian Outback 69 SMK all the way to 750 yds. Of course with hand loads it can do a bit better.

Unless you get a turkey, that gun will shoot. Especially if you change out the stock to something better. He prefers to shoot off a bi-pod and the EABrown laminate is a very good, drop it in and go shoot it stock. Good bi-pod and squeeze bag and the PD's don't stand a chance. His scope is a Vortex Crossfire II. Great, low cost combination.
The American Eagle did poorly in my MSR but if it is good in the 12FV that would be great. Thanks.

J.Baker
08-31-2018, 05:12 AM
I was getting larger groups and less predictable between 200 and 300 yds with multiple different factory loads. My expectation is the 12FV will be better, but as I get into reports, many seem to shoot at 100 yds and report great results. Thus the question.

A rifle and/or given ammo's accuracy potential doesn't get better or worse as the distance increases - it's the shooters ability and experience as well as the conditions that cause the accuracy to open up as the distance increases.

If Ammo "A" shoots 1/2 MOA at 100 yards, it will shoot 1/2 MOA at 200, 300, 400, etc. if you could eliminate every potential environmental and shooter induced variable.

celltech
08-31-2018, 08:01 AM
Best factory ammo is American Eagle 50 grain tipped (it uses the V-Max bullet) and is good to 500 yds.

I find all the little v-max bullets to be very accurate...but try to find the 53 grain version. It's BC is an exceptionally high .290 and is almost as good as a 69 BTHP.

And as Jim stated the real driving force at longer ranges is your knowledge and skills as a shooter. The wind can really play havoc with these smaller pills.

Bunky-Shooter
09-01-2018, 03:56 PM
I agree with Jim and Celltech !! With a 3mph wind at 400 yards a 223 will be as much as 5 inches to the left or right if the wind is at 3 or 9 O clock. Learn your rifle, bullets and lots of time at the trigger.

Traveling_Fisher
09-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Thanks to all. It sounds like I need to work on technique before anything drastic. How much technique difference should I expect in the MSR 15 vs bolt rifles? 50 years since Parris Island, the last time I shot 500 yards.

celltech
09-02-2018, 08:58 AM
So I think you will find the 12FV trigger to be a *lot* better than that mil-spec AR one. And you can adjust it down to ~2lb or so. The 12FV will also be much heavier and stable when shooting...especially in .223

Just go out and have some fun with it. My guess is the 12 will make you look like a hero ;-)

charlie b
09-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Don't worry about age/time difference. At 65 I am not as good a shot as I was in my 20's, but, I can still shoot less than MOA groups when I am on my game. The Savages are great rifles too. I am also a fan of the accutrigger.

I find I shoot the .308 better than the .223. It doesn't mind the little turbulence 'bubbles' downrange as much as the smaller pills. But, I shot better with the M14 than the M16 too :)

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk