PDA

View Full Version : My current Savage axis build thread .338-06

Pages : [1] 2

Txriflefan
08-27-2018, 12:22 PM
This is my current build and my responsibility. If anyone decides to copy any of it, it is your responsibility. Do so at your own risk.

So Midway had the ultimate varmint stock for long actions on sale for $139. I have model 12 in 308 in a Choate stock and like the feel. Plus I like the look, better than the ultimate sniper model. I like the show "The Shooter", but can't afford the real rifle the black king in the show is based off. So I thought it would be cool to use a stock that had a similar look. And since they were selling it for much less than usual, I could afford to butcher it and not feel bad.

The donor rifle is a axis 30-06. Here begins the list of problems. Receiver screw spacing, lug position, trigger group pocket, and magazine type are all different from this stock than the axis.

I opted to position the receiver based on the rear screw. It looked like it aligned with the mag well pretty good as well as put the trigger in a good spot that was comfortable for me. I then took a blue sharpie to use as layout dye and colored the aluminum about where my interference was in the front lug area and the rear trigger block. Then used a "k"drill bit to locate the trigger block in the stock. It was a very tight fit so I felt good it was not going to move while I scribed the outline. I ended up going down .410" from the top edge of the rear "v" in bedding block. This allowed good clearance for complete trigger group.

I then screwed receiver down into stock using the rear screw and scribed the edge of the receiver. I'm going to use a std recoil lug instead of the axis style. I cut a lot off the face of the front "v". I don't have the measurement right now but it had to have been .200" or more. Edit: .300".

I am waiting on recoil lug and new barrel nut before I can go any further. But I did slap it together for a photo op. The scope is not staying on there. That is my cheap slam on anything scope till I decide what I want.

Well it looks like I am too new to post pics of anything and I can't delete this either for some reason. The only thing I found on posting pics was for paid members.

Txriflefan
08-27-2018, 07:31 PM
http://imgur.com/gallery/f9KNP69

Evlshnngns
08-27-2018, 08:19 PM
NICE work!

1bdvet
08-27-2018, 08:59 PM
That is nice!

Txriflefan
08-28-2018, 10:26 PM
Thanks y'all. Once I get my little parts in, I want to hop back on it. I did update it earlier with the amount I had to take off the front of the mounting block, it was .300".

Txriflefan
09-09-2018, 10:44 PM
So no new pics, but I have made some progress. Action is bedded, magazine is shimmed to feed 30-06 good (when I paint I'll post a final shim measurement as I take it back apart) and drilling of rear screw hole to correct depth is done. I had to swap to short screw in the back and it was no where near long enough. I'll get a final depth measurement on this too.

Issue now is can't depress trigger far enough to remove bolt with out loosening up the rear action screw. Trying to figure out if issue is with trigger guard interference or that aluminum pad under front of trigger is hitting the bedding block. I already clearanced for the top bolt release piece of the trigger and no signs of interference, so the work continues. Just wanted to give a quick update, but it cycles real good. So far I'm pleased.

Edit: magazine shim thickness is .091" and goes all the way across the bottom of the sheet metal. The depth of the rear screw hole is .8465" from top to shoulder inside.

DesertDug
09-09-2018, 11:24 PM
Looks good. Real custom.

Txriflefan
09-16-2018, 01:12 AM
Ok, updated the shim thickness and the depth of the rear screw hole. Also, got the stock painted and rifle assembled. Got a can of a flat rustoleum tan, painted the stock with it, then mist' d the stock with the camo paint dark green. I was trying to match the scope's color of FDE and I think it looks pretty good. In some places it's obviously 2 colors, but I think looks pretty cool.

Here is the updated pictures link.
http://imgur.com/gallery/RqGG166

Now to load up some ammo and live fire test, pretty excited to see if I did a good job. I'll up date as soon as I can.

Robinhood
09-16-2018, 09:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/uVbDXBm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3PGvy33.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Tzr4V7n.jpg

Txriflefan
09-17-2018, 05:59 PM
Thanks Robin hood.

Txriflefan
11-19-2018, 11:49 PM
So current issue with this build..

I have taken it to shoot twice now with the same results, light primer strikes and no bang(8 different reloads of mine and some tried twice). I did not have this problem when it was a 30-06(yes my loads) and have made no changes to the bolt or any part of it since it was a 30-06.

However, I checked firing pin protrusion (.050"). Pulled firing pin/spring/etc and ejector parts and re check headspace. The no go gauge won't go, good. Check a round, goes into battery. Measured a piece of masking tape (.002"), add to back of round, won't go into battery,good. Actually re-checked headspace twice. I feel confident
This is not a headspace issue as much as i would like it to be since easy fix. I also dont feel it is a protrusion issue.

I have 3 of these acutrigger savages that I have re-barreled and none have this issue except this guy. I really don't think it is trigger pull. I do think it might be in the trigger though. In order to get the bolt out, I have to lossen the rear action screw about half a turn. Otherwise I can not depress the bolt release enough to remove the bolt. This sounds like the stock needs relief in the trigger group area, but I'm not sure where yet as otherwise it seems to function check properly.

I appreciate any thoughts on this if someone has had a similar problem.

Evlshnngns
11-20-2018, 02:08 AM
I would fix the bolt release and go from there. I believe some one else on here had a similar problem from that area.

30-06shooter
11-26-2018, 10:11 AM
Cool build. Keep us posted...

Txriflefan
11-28-2018, 09:17 PM
I took it back to the range on Sunday and successfully fired 1 round out of 3, but it went bang. Never felt so good to be unsuccessful, lol. Last night I took it apart and took a good hard look at the trigger assembly.

I found one side of the pin hole (for the pin that attaches group to receiver) a little put of round, and the other side pretty much egg shaped! I did buy this gun used but honestly didn't pay a lot of attention to this,my fault. It is allowing the trigger group to have a lot of movement in any direction. Obvious solution is a new trigger group. But, since I can't make it any worse, I decided to bush the egg shaped hole and see if that fixes it.

I found a roll pin in my collection (3/16) that the pin almost goes through. Bored it out(in steps) with a #26. The #26 is way bigger than the pin. However, my roll pin is spring steel and was flexing out so only removing minimal material. It ended up a nice snug fit with a little bit of finish file work. I only drilled about 1/4" of the roll pin. Measured the side of roll pin I DIDN'T drill and found a drill bit that was within a couple thou. Then I drilled out the egg shaped side only. I left a little of the original pin boss area to use as a depth guide.

Used a finish file until the side of the pin I did drill out(the o.d. was slightly more from the drilling) was a tight fit. Used a little loctite and tapped it in. I then used a cut off wheel to remove the remainder. Followed that up with filing it down about .010" more so that the pin would go all the way to the outside of the other side of the trigger group. Filed the hole thing smooth inside and flat on the outside. The pin is snug now and the trigger group has no side to side movement.

What a long explanation for what took 30 minutes, lol. I'm headed back out on Sunday and we will see if I fixed anything or just wasted time.

Edit: I have pictures but have not added them yet.

charlie b
11-28-2018, 11:25 PM
If you didn't want to wait you could put primers in some empty cases and see if they go off ;)

Evlshnngns
11-28-2018, 11:48 PM
I have had short brass(new) that wouldn't go off until I seated a bullet in the lands. something to look into. Charlie B gave some good advise for sure.

Txriflefan
11-29-2018, 01:00 AM
Primer only testing sounds like a good idea. Putting it back in the stock tonight, I noticed that the trigger safety is just barely touching the stock at the same time the trigger breaks. Maybe it's not completely out of the way? But how am I getting primer strikes every time?

All the more reason to primer test I guess.

Txriflefan
11-29-2018, 09:32 PM
So the trigger may have been part of the problem, but it was not the end all. Spring pressure was the problem. Flatend a lock washer and put it between the main spring and the big screw that goes in the back of the bolt. Now it goes bang, success! Fired 3 rounds (primer only)out of the stock, and 2 with it back in the stock. 5 in a row, I think I got it.

So now I need to get a replacement spring and the usual suppliers don't seem to offer anything for the axis. So is Savage my only option or a spring manufacturer I guess?

want2ride
11-29-2018, 11:33 PM
I just ordered a bunch of bolt parts from Savage, they were cheaper than Midway and Brownell's AND they actually had them in stock. Savage will be my first call in the future for stock parts.

Txriflefan
11-30-2018, 01:49 PM
Glad to hear it, I'll give them a call. Thanks.