PDA

View Full Version : Proof Carbon Barrel swap

Boondoggle
08-24-2018, 02:50 PM
Has anyone done a diy install for a profit Proof carbon barrel? I use just a barrel vise and wonder how durable the carbon fiber wrap is. I won't need as much torque for an install as removing a factory barrel but it still can't move and I'd lose my mind if I dinged it

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

diablizzard
08-24-2018, 03:19 PM
Don't use the barrel vise on it. Pick up an action wrench.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Boondoggle
08-24-2018, 04:19 PM
Don't use the barrel vise on it. Pick up an action wrench.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkI thought that would be the conventional wisdom. I wasn't panning on a high end lightweight stock and a couple folks mentioned that barrel in a two and a half pound stock might balance funny. I'm beginning to the the weight savings may not be worth it for this build.

diablizzard
08-24-2018, 04:27 PM
The wrench is only $60 from nss and there are cheaper ones elsewhere. Personally I feel it's a better route when torquing the barrel nut. When tightening the barrel nut and only having a secure hold on the barrel can make setting headspace a pain. You should have the action secured in that situation.

Boondoggle
08-24-2018, 04:35 PM
The wrench is only $60 from nss and there are cheaper ones elsewhere. Personally I feel it's a better route when torquing the barrel nut. When tightening the barrel nut and only having a secure hold on the barrel can make setting headspace a pain. You should have the action secured in that situation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkHow would the wrench work without using a bench vise? I c-clamp the barrel vise to the bench but that wouldn't work with the action wrench. I suppose I could put it in the barrel vise with the action off the bench and just hold the wrench handle while I tighten the barrel nut. Does that make sense?

mnbogboy2
08-24-2018, 05:58 PM
I have the wheeler wrench (similar to the NSS). I removed the handle and bolted it to the bench from the bottom (handle side) with 1/2-20 grade 8 bolts. Using slightly less than 1/2 of the threaded hole depth. My bench is 1-1/2" thick so 2-1/2" with flatwasher leaves about an inch of usable threads for the clamp bolts. The bolts that came with the Wheeler were 2-3/8" and the clamp is about 1-1/4" so I used a couple of flats on the clamp bolts to prevent them and the bench attaching bolts from touching each other when the clamp is tight.
It ended up very solid and have used it on the toughest of "gorrilla" applied nuts.
Randy

Boondoggle
08-24-2018, 06:30 PM
I have the wheeler wrench (similar to the NSS). I removed the handle and bolted it to the bench from the bottom (handle side) with 1/2-20 grade 8 bolts. Using slightly less than 1/2 of the threaded hole depth. My bench is 1-1/2" thick so 2-1/2" with flatwasher leaves about an inch of usable threads for the clamp bolts. The bolts that came with the Wheeler were 2-3/8" and the clamp is about 1-1/4" so I used a couple of flats on the clamp bolts to prevent them and the bench attaching bolts from touching each other when the clamp is tight.
It ended up very solid and have used it on the toughest of "gorrilla" applied nuts.
RandyThanks for that info. That was my thought and if my neighbor's clamp vise won't work that's what I'll do.

diablizzard
08-24-2018, 09:36 PM
That's hilarious, I did the exact same to mine

mnbogboy2
08-24-2018, 10:03 PM
Bummer is it must be removed and handle put back on when a Remington barrel is removed. My barrel vise is mounted "permanently" on the same bench!
Maybe it's time to buy a second action wrench.:(

Robinhood
08-25-2018, 10:35 AM
You could put the action in the barrel vise and use the action wrench for the nut. Just make sure you grab over the barrel threads.