PDA

View Full Version : Firing Pin Bushing

bsekf
08-24-2018, 08:33 AM
I am using an older Stagger Feed Long action on Small Primer cartridges. How do you go about putting in a small diameter firing pin? Is there a kit? I don't run high pressure and am not having an problems, am I over thinking again?

Bill

sharpshooter
08-24-2018, 09:16 AM
yes........if it ain't busted, don't fix it.

Nor Cal Mikie
08-24-2018, 09:31 AM
yes........if it ain't busted, don't fix it.
What the MAN said!!:cool:

1vakid
08-26-2018, 10:32 PM
No, there isn't a "drop in" kit.

rckendall
08-30-2018, 03:14 PM
There is a fellow on Accurate Shooter Forum who bushes the bolt head and turns the firing pin on Savage bolts. He charges $50, does a great job, and gets it back to you in a couple days. His screen name over there is Grimstod. Well worth the time and money.

Richard

Nor Cal Mikie
08-30-2018, 07:07 PM
I've got five or six Savage rifles (I've lost count) and NONE of them has ever or will ever need the firing pin bushed. If you THINK you need it and have $$ to spend AND it makes you feel better, go for it.;)

rckendall
09-01-2018, 05:51 PM
Mike,
I'm happy that you are comfortable shooting your rifles as you do, but others may use their's differently. I do have a Savage that I shoot absolutely stock, but the one i referred to is a 12 F Class in 6br. I shoot it in 600 yard mid range F Class matches against guys with high dollar custom rifles. I have had it less than 3 months now and have 834 rounds through it. I was getting small cratering and inconsistent firing pin strikes in stock configuration, so the small expense of having the bolt bushed and pin fit to it was a good investment at a modest cost. YMMV

Richard

Robinhood
09-03-2018, 02:02 AM
Grimstod reduces the length of the firing pin spring to lighten the bolt lift. His reason is the reduction of force required to ignite a primer is reduced and the reduced motion induced by a heavy loaded spring being released and then stopped by the primer. He is a user hear also.