PDA

View Full Version : 223 AICS conversion issues

Leam
08-23-2018, 08:54 PM
Jeff at CDI has been great to work with. I'm still putzing with some issues and trying to figure them out; advice appreciated. CDI DBM on a Boyd's AT-ONE stock. Left hand Axis in 223.

1. Some rounds get pushed straight forward and do not feed. They catch on the ramp and are stuck. If I push the bolt hard it can force the bullet into the case.

2. When the top round does feed the rounds still in the mag get pushed nose down into the magazine. If I understand Jeff correctly, the bottom edge of the bolt needs to be smoothed out. Thoughts? Videos so I don't mess it up?

Thanks!

Leam

Leam
08-26-2018, 06:31 PM
Okay, so there's a hole on the top of the bolt. Except this is a lefty and the hold is on the bottom and seems to be what's catching the edge of the second round. Not sure why it's an issue with the AICS mags; the factory mag works fine. Anyone with a 110 have a lefty to see if it also has the same hole? I know the Tactical 110 came out in lefty and uses AICS mags so Savage must have fixed the issue somehow.

Leam
08-27-2018, 05:47 AM
Here's the bolt bottom (http://reuel.net/images/bolt_bottom.jpg), showing the hole in the forward section of the bolt.That seems to be what's catching the rim of the second round.

J.Baker
08-27-2018, 11:35 AM
All factory Savage bolt heads have that hole - it's the escape route to transfer hot gases out through the gas vent hole in the side of the receiver should you ever ruptured a case or pierced a primer. When the bolt is closed and locked into battery that hole lines up (kinda) with the hole in the side of the receiver.

All of my LH Savage 110's and Axis have the hole on the bottom, the oldest dating back to the late 1990's.

Leam
09-04-2018, 05:24 PM
This is still driving me nuts. The dummy rounds are 2.210-2.220 long. Sometimes the top round hits the lower part of the reciever and jams. Sometimes it hits the back of the barrel and jams. Often the following rounds are push nose down into the mag and un-feedable.

Jeff at CDI took off some edge around the holes, it can't be that. Some times things fee well, but the same mags might feed or might not.

snowgetter1
09-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Sounds like you might want to try experimenting with adjusting the depth or height of the bottom metal. There is a sweet spot. You may need to add some tape to try moving the metal further away from the bolt or mill the stock out some to move the metal closer to the bolt.

1bdvet
09-15-2018, 07:58 AM
Thanks I have 270, left handed with Boyd stock and experiencing the same problem has Leam is experiencing.

Will try the fix!