PDA

View Full Version : Flat back 110 "short action" stagger feed questions

Boondoggle
08-19-2018, 10:37 PM
I've got a line on an older 110 short action in 300 wsm. Obviously it's a stagger feed blind mag and the barrel supposedly free floated. Barrel is standard magnum contour so not a varmint model.

My questions are did Savage do pillar bedding for most synthetic stocks back in the early 2000's and how easy is it to tune/swap the trigger (I'm assuming it's a three screw)?

Any info is most appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robinhood
08-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Your model probably has the wire spring trigger. I have no problem with them as a hunting trigger. Some .040 wire bent as a replacement spring and keep enough preload to ensure the trigger pushes against the sear so it does not bump-fire. always use the safety when carrying loaded.

That model came from the factory with a standing ejector and was considered a control round feed. The bolt head was open on the bottom and had a slot for the ejector. The ejector dragging on the bottom of the bolt made it a little rough on cycling but not too bad.

It is a large shank(1.125, at least in pitch diameter) thread. Meaning if you change barrels you will need to go big. Bolthead swaps are easy.

sharpshooter
08-20-2018, 02:09 PM
It may not be a large shank with the flat back. The large shank WSM's started showing up when the round back came out, in 2003.

Robinhood
08-20-2018, 10:55 PM
Not arguing but I just walked away from looking at a Flat back wsm and it is 1.125
G108xxx

sharpshooter
08-21-2018, 06:30 PM
That doesn't surprise me.....any combination is possible right around a transition period. That's the same time the accutrigger and the round tops came out. I've seen flat tops with accutriggers, and roundtops with the old triggers that had consecutive serial #s. I've seen stagger feed actions with a 4.4" screw spacing, and center feed with 4.275"....it was a matter of using up surplus parts.

Robinhood
08-22-2018, 06:45 PM
Yep, It's not like it was a rare thing to do.