PDA

View Full Version : New Model 10 Predator shooting 25" to left. Return to Savage?

Pages : 1 [2]

wahoowad
10-04-2010, 08:24 AM
I appreciate everybody's support. I'll discuss with Savage today and return the gun to them if they are willing. As annoying as it is to be sidelined, I'm going to give them a chance to check out the rifle before passing too much judgment. I'll report back here since there seems to be some interest in how they handle the issue for me. :o

bodywerks
10-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but did you check to make sure that your windage turret is centered? Maybe someone got their hands on it at the store and turned it in a bunch? I'd also try a one-piece base and tactical rings myself before missing an entire hunting season.

wahoowad
10-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but did you check to make sure that your windage turret is centered?

Yep, I checked this on each of the 2 different scopes I tried. They were checked both optically and mechanically.

Savage emailed me a UPS shipping label and the gun is on its way.

wahoowad
10-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Well gentlemen, I knew something screwy was going on. Here is where we are.

Gun was sent back to Savage. In the meantime I picked up another toy - a Remington Model Seven 17 Fireball. I decided to put the same scope/rings on it. Gun shot 28" to the left! Yes, this is the second scope and different gun. I rotated the rings 180 degrees and that put me on paper 4" to the right.

Somehow the Burris Signature Zee rings were pushing it to the extreme left when installed with the base screw entering from the left. It shot fine when I rotated and slid the base screw from the right. And yes, I was using the correct '0' inserts.

I called Savage to tell them. They had just shot my gun and said it was within spec. and was coming back to me.

~Ace~
10-20-2010, 08:11 PM
TRASH the Junk 2 Piece bases, put a Real One Piece base on and see if it cures it. If Not, check base mounting holes, run a straight edge across them and see how it aligns with the bbl. If they are out of wack, you can send back to Savage, OR have a Smith redrill them on center and tap to 10/8 (larger, stronger)

More often that not it's Junk bases / Rings that cause issues. If it does end up being the rifle... send it back.

~Ace~
10-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Lol, i missed page 2 when I replied..... Dumbass Moment. But, Obviously, Good Advice.

racinready300ex
10-21-2010, 12:30 PM
I had the same problem, and sent mine back. They installed a new barrel and no more problem.