PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a 338 Lapua bolt head?

Pages : [1] 2

montana_native
10-01-2010, 08:12 PM
I called Savage and they will not sell to a private party...only an FFL. Any thoughts? Also, what is the difference between the Lapua bolt head and the traditional magnum bolt head?

Thanks.

Nefarioud
10-01-2010, 10:22 PM
You can get one from me ...$1800.

JK, the 338 bolt head is a bit bigger than the standard magnum jobbie.

montana_native
10-01-2010, 11:09 PM
You can get one from me ...$1800.

JK, the 338 bolt head is a bit bigger than the standard magnum jobbie.

Are they compatable with a standard 110 action?

Thanks.

Nefarioud
10-01-2010, 11:49 PM
No sure.

I have both on hand, I'll pull the guns out and see if I note any differences and maybe post some photos.

If you look up an article called "power purchase" about the 110 BA, the savage guy says in there this is the biggest bolt head Savage has ever produced.

montana_native
10-02-2010, 12:56 AM
That would be great. Sent you a PM as well.

cowboyarcher
10-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Hany here on the forum built one on a standard action. I think his bolt head was a custom job.

Adam

tammons
10-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I thought the 338L was unsafe on a 110 action.

Crankfire Systems
10-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I thought the 338L was unsafe on a 110 action.

I've heard (read) the same thing several times. But, I have yet to see any supportive evidence to base it on. Best I've seen so far is that the Savage Action "Wasn't sturdy enough". I went with a Remington 700 action, and then found some folks that claimed it wasn't "Safe" for the 338LM. Now both makers offer factory chambered guns in 338LM built on their original footprint actions.

If I am not mistaken, Savage has built factory rifles for all of the Remington RUM series cartridges, and there are more than a few Savage based 338RUMs, 338EDGEs, 338EDGE AIs that have been custom built. All of these chamberings render ballistic performance either very close to, or better than the 338LM. So I wonder how that works???

I would surely like to hear any and all input, with solid factual reasoning, as to what will or won't work and just what the exact differences are/are not present in the 338LM guns, both Savage and Remington.

Thanks
Emory Jones

tammons
10-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Bigger diameter case like the 338 LM has more bolt thrust.
That and less meat around the chamber.

I am sure a savage rum action would work converted to a 338 LM but what is the safety factor
of that build ??

It would be below a standard safety factor for a 110 rifle design whatever that is.

You could do some destructive testing to find out exactly where it would fail which I think gun companies are required to do,
but lets just guess at a number and say running it on a Savage 110 action reduces the max failure pressure to 90K instead of 180K
would it be worth it ??

I am sure the savage engineers looked at it and decided the numbers did not work and decided to go no further.

sha-ul
10-02-2010, 11:18 PM
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110BA/ ;D

montana_native
10-03-2010, 06:36 PM
About all I hear is the naysayers as well without any empirical data to support it. I found a lengthy thread on longrangehunting.com about it. A metalurgist (I think) had a lot of data that said it SHOULD be more than safe. It was about 6-7 pages of him defending himself against many who said it couldn't be done.

It's become a moot point now anyways. My brother-in-law has opted for the Edge rather than the Lapua in this thing.

Thanks.

tammons
10-03-2010, 07:09 PM
About all I hear is the naysayers as well without any empirical data to support it.
Thanks.

The empirical data is not there because it probably does not meet modern fira arm safety standards.
The easy way to get more info is to email or call Savage or SSS and ask why it does not work.

Metallurgist statements and calculations are fine but what safety factor is he using. Does he account for
cast and forging metal defects etc. or is he using optimal strengths in his calculations.

Like I said before it will work, no doubt, but what is the safety factor ??
Nobody knows even the Metallurgist until destructive testing is done which
Savage may have already done.

efm77
10-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Savage is building 338 Lapuas on their 110 large shank action (the 110BA) so it must be safe enough. I read an article in American Rifleman about it. They did switch to a bolt head with thicker locking lugs and I think the steel may be thicker for the locking lug recesses in the receiver but they didn't mention any changes to heat treating or anything like that. I would think with the proper bolt head and a large shank action it would be fine but you can buy and handload 338 ultra mag ammo a lot cheaper for the most part and it's ballistics are virtually identical to the 338LM with a smaller diameter case head/rim.

tammons
10-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Without seeing engineering drawings and data its impossible to say how much the 110BA is beefed up if any at all.

Maybe Fred at SSS could pipe in.

sharpshooter
10-04-2010, 02:24 AM
The 110BA has a thicker bolt head with 9/16" lugs, same as the new center feed WSM's use. They are all built with a large shank receiver. The bottom lug abutment is .050" thicker than a standard 110. All this means is the magazine cut has been moved back by .050". The heat treat is also different. I expressed my concerns to Chris Bezzina, director of engineering, about this and he claimed that they tested it to destruction.
I have built some .338 Lapua based cartridges on standard 110 actions and have noted all the problems that are associated with them. The standard 110 receiver will not handle the pressures generated by the large case because: 1. It is not big enough in diameter to give enough support around the case, 2. The lug area is not large enough to support the amount of bolt thrust. In all cases the lug abutments suffered from lug setback... in other words, the bolt lugs left a "footprint" on the receiver lug abutments. When using a standard shank barrel, the barrel would momentarily swell upon firing, and then snap back to original size, while the brass cartridge case would also swell past it's elastic limit and create a sticky extraction.

The receiver not only has to contain standard pressures to be safe, it also has to contain 30% more to safegaurd against mistakes made while reloading.

If you are serious about a .338 Lapua, it should be built on an action that was designed to handle that cartridge. The only reason shooters want to build a .338 Lapua on a Savage action is they think they can get off cheap. If you can afford to enjoy one, it is worth making a rifle that is designed for it and by no means "questionable".

efm77
10-04-2010, 05:23 AM
Thanks Fred for the insight. What you have said makes a lot of sense. I guess the same could be said for the ones built on Rem. 700 actions as well? I think they have similar dimensions except Remington has never made a larger barrel shank.

Crankfire Systems
10-07-2010, 08:25 PM
The 110BA has a thicker bolt head with 9/16" lugs, same as the new center feed WSM's use. They are all built with a large shank receiver. The bottom lug abutment is .050" thicker than a standard 110. All this means is the magazine cut has been moved back by .050". The heat treat is also different. I expressed my concerns to Chris Bezzina, director of engineering, about this and he claimed that they tested it to destruction.
I have built some .338 Lapua based cartridges on standard 110 actions and have noted all the problems that are associated with them. The standard 110 receiver will not handle the pressures generated by the large case because: 1. It is not big enough in diameter to give enough support around the case, 2. The lug area is not large enough to support the amount of bolt thrust. In all cases the lug abutments suffered from lug setback... in other words, the bolt lugs left a "footprint" on the receiver lug abutments. When using a standard shank barrel, the barrel would momentarily swell upon firing, and then snap back to original size, while the brass cartridge case would also swell past it's elastic limit and create a sticky extraction.

The receiver not only has to contain standard pressures to be safe, it also has to contain 30% more to safegaurd against mistakes made while reloading.

If you are serious about a .338 Lapua, it should be built on an action that was designed to handle that cartridge. The only reason shooters want to build a .338 Lapua on a Savage action is they think they can get off cheap. If you can afford to enjoy one, it is worth making a rifle that is designed for it and by no means "questionable".

Thank you for all the information!! That is what I had been hoping to see somewhere. Especially useful is the info on the barrel and rec. swelling up and over stretching the brass. Seems that lots of people have had this extraction problem with the 110BA guns, unless they are using the stronger Lapua Brass. Evidently the materials/heat treatment used in the Savages is much inferior to the Remingtons and other brands that do not exhibit these extraction problems. For my .02 worth looks like the upper limit for the Savage is about 300 Win Mag, and anything above that requires Remington or better in Barrel and Receiver.

Thanks,
Emory Jones

efm77
10-08-2010, 05:45 AM
Remington better than Savage? I don't think that was the point being made. The Remington's barrel shank is virtually the same size as the Savage with even deeper threads leaving less meat around the chamber until you get to the shoulder of the barrel. I think the 338 Lapua is stretching the limits of the 700 action as well. I doubt it handles it any better than the Savage would. If it's a heat treatment issue that sounds like something was given the wrong treatment by mistake and could be corrected regardless of brand. And 300 win mag isn't the limit for Savage, there are plenty of RUMS on Savage actions that haven't had any troubles. The Lapua round is about too big for either action.

Captain Eddie
10-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Question for Sharpshooter - In your opinion, is the 110BA safe? I'm beginning to have doubts because of the "sticky extraction" issue and the fact that Savage only tests with medim pressure ammunition.

tammons
10-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Just a general question about the 338L and Rum.
What are you guys doing with these rifles ??

I assume you are shooting 300gr SMKs with a lot of recoil, muzzle blast etc.

For target won't a 7mm 180 gr berger in a 280 or maybe a 7mm/375 ruger
shoot about the same trajectory at long distance ??

I could understand if I was in Iraq picking off bad guys or shooting through vehicles, then yes I would want a
338L or the like, but for just target or hunting something a bit cheaper to shoot with a more manageable
recoil would be my preference.