PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a can on a lightweight hunter?

thefish
08-12-2018, 01:26 AM
Currently have a Trophy hunter XP in .308. It's getting a little heavy these days.

I'm thinking of getting a Lightweight Hunter in 6.5CM, threading the barrel, and using my 30 cal can, for this upcoming Elk season.

But wondering if anyone has done this. Worried that there might not be enough meat on the pencil barrel for threading (not to mention barrel oscelation, but that's something that I guess I can only test after the fact).

The main goal in doing this would be extended range, recoil reduction, and report reduction.

Thanks in advance

wbm
08-12-2018, 09:34 AM
The muzzle diameter on the LWH is actually less than on your hunter. Not enough metal to safely thread. Also the barrel is 20" and if you go with a 308 you are going to experience a lot of muzzle jump and significant recoil....been there.

thefish
08-12-2018, 10:09 AM
The muzzle diameter on the LWH is actually less than on your hunter. Not enough metal to safely thread. Also the barrel is 20" and if you go with a 308 you are going to experience a lot of muzzle jump and significant recoil....been there.

Thanks, It would be in 6.5CM, and adding the suppressor will add mass to the end of the barrel, as well as a Bipod, so I think flip wont be an issue.

But I was worried about the thread depth.

gbflyer
08-12-2018, 11:49 AM
You should try to leave as close to a .140 “wall” thickness minimum as you can for a no worry installation. Not sure what your barrel mics at the muzzle. You can buy more diameter by shortening the barrel if you can abide that.

wbm
08-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Had a Savage LWH in 6.5CM. Really accurate and the walnut stock was beautiful. If I were going to go light weight I would just go with the walnut stock Savage and forget the can.

Apollo117
08-12-2018, 10:47 PM
You may want to look into replacing the stock on your trophy hunter before buying a new rifle.

I've got the LWH model 16. That pencil barrel is awfully thin. I doubt it handle a suppressor very well.

As mentioned in a previous post you could remove some barrel material on your current trophy hunter. Add a lighter stock and you'd be very close to the weight of a LWH. I'd look on this forum and others, as well as eBay, for a LWH model 11 walnut take off stock. Or check out a replacement stock from Stockade.