PDA

View Full Version : Savage Edge not stabilizing bullets?!

wcat
09-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Hi, I recently bought a Savage Edge in 223 for a coyote rifle and plinking.

I loaded 100 rounds with the following load: 24,5gr of WC-735 behind a Hornady 55gr SP(not SPSX).
This load shoots fine in my other 223, not a match load but very good for plinking.

The other day, I fired 10 shots , but it was for breaking-in the barrel, so I didn't shot at target, only into the sand bank between each cleaning, I also chrony'd some shots and got a constant 3150fps, so the load seems fine.

Then I installed my old Redfield 5-Star 3-9x40, re-cleaned the barrel and headed for the range. At the very 1st shot, the bullet hits the target sideway! (at 100y).
I was scratching my head, maybe there was solvent left in the bore I thought...
The 2nd shot, about 1 in. above the 1st one with a perfect round .224 hole, pheww.
Then the 3rd shot also hit the target sideway!
I removed the bolt and looked at the bore, all seems good.

I had looked thru the bore before, when cleaning, and didn't find anything suspicious, and the cleaning rod spins with the riflings when pushing a patch with a jag.

I decided to try a 2nd 3-shot group:
1st bullet hits ok, 2nd sideway again, then 3rd one is ok.
At that moment, rain began to pour down, so I left the range.

I'm puzzled, this rifle is supposed to have a 1:9 twist, plenty fast for the little Hornady 55gr SP, and speed is good at 3150fps.

Anyone have an idea? Thanks for your thoughts!

Tbob
09-30-2010, 10:06 PM
A couple of things to check. Make sure your crown hasn't been dinged. If there is residue on the muzzle, look and see if the powder streaks are concentric with one another. Check the rifling in the end of the barrel. This is made easier by pushing a patch down the barrel through the breech within an inch or so of the muzzle. The patch acts as a reflector when you shine a light down the muzzle. Make sure your rifling doesn't have burrs or jagged edges. While pushing a tight jag/patch through the barrel, do you feel any spots that are tight? If everything checks out, send it back to Savage and they can lick that calf again.

littlebit55
10-06-2010, 10:30 AM
i dunno,but happy with the one i have, i use H335 25.0 and sierra 53 grain,
Nikon buck master 4x12x40

guhunter
10-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm having a similar issue with a 223 savage but mine is a 12 vlp. I am getting more sideways holes than round ones. I need to send it in as I have found no damage whatsoever. Somewhat puzzling.