PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12FV mag conversion

Spudgun
07-31-2018, 04:31 PM
What do I need to convert the blind mag to a removable mag on a Savage 12FV?

At this moment I have a blind mag (non removable) and in the future I will be replacing the stock with one that uses removable mag.

Is there a compete kit from savage or other after market company?

celltech
07-31-2018, 06:44 PM
Several options here...first is a stock or chassis that allows a removable mag. If you want to go OEM Savage style then you need bottom metal, and yes, you can get it from Savage or check the for sale forums. You can get a stock from Boyd's..find a Savage model..or several others around.

If you go chassis then they are generally an ACIS style mag. I would say the chassis is generally the "easiest" although the most $$$.

Here is my own 12FV with a Boyd stock, Savage bottom metal and Savage mag. And the barrel was cut down a bit...

Spudgun
07-31-2018, 06:49 PM
I was looking at the AT-ONE stock from Boyd's.

I know I can get it in 3 models depending on the mag style, but figured if I go that far then might as well convert to magazine style.

AHC222
08-01-2018, 04:57 PM
Several options here...first is a stock or chassis that allows a removable mag. If you want to go OEM Savage style then you need bottom metal, and yes, you can get it from Savage or check the for sale forums. You can get a stock from Boyd's..find a Savage model..or several others around.

If you go chassis then they are generally an ACIS style mag. I would say the chassis is generally the "easiest" although the most $$$.

Here is my own 12FV with a Boyd stock, Savage bottom metal and Savage mag. And the barrel was cut down a bit...
To add to this, you can purchase non-OEM Savage bottom metal from Accurate Mag, PT&G, and CDI (possibly others) to run AICS mags. I switched out my OEM Savage bottom metal on my 10 FCP-SR to an Accurate Mag and it has been running great. Mine ran $150 shipped, without a mag (ended up using a $30 magpul AICS). It might be cheaper to find some factory Savage bottom metal at this point, I think there are quite a few like me who have switched them out. Just have to keep an eye out for them. Good luck.

celltech
08-01-2018, 08:02 PM
My issue with AICS is being a single stack design. I am sure they feed great and all...but just take up a lot of room.

BB68
08-01-2018, 09:49 PM
My issue with AICS is being a single stack design. I am sure they feed great and all...but just take up a lot of room.

good point, prone and hunting can be a pain with longer mags

RustyShackle
08-01-2018, 11:04 PM
I’ve been eyeballing converting an H&K G3 mag for a savage. Cheap mags.

Gooldylocks
08-02-2018, 12:58 AM
My issue with AICS is being a single stack design. I am sure they feed great and all...but just take up a lot of room.MDT makes a double stack single feed mag. I think Accurate might as well. MDT will be releasing their 12 round mag shortly, which is the same length as a regular 10 round.

The 5s are especially short.