PDA

View Full Version : Savage Trophy Hunter Scope Mounts

Alderman
07-30-2018, 04:00 PM
I purchased a couple of Savage 11 Trophy Hunter packages. It got me into a 6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm-08 for a great price.
The one issue I had with both of them was with the scope mounting systems that came factory installed.
I originally tightened the rings prior to shooting them but started having issues with accuracy after some time at the range.

I decided to try different rings and purchased Weaver Grand Slam medium height 1” rings to install.

Upon removing the rings on the 6.5, I discovered the front base screws were loose.

On removing the rings on the 7mm-08 I found the ring screws had loosened.

Just a heads up in case you are having issues with your Trophy Hunter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SageRat Shooter
07-30-2018, 04:03 PM
There's only one place to put those rings that come on the XP packages.... THE TRASH!! :nono:

J.Baker
07-30-2018, 04:14 PM
It's long been known that Savage does a poor job of tightening the screws for scope mounts and/or rings at the factory and that it should be standard practice to disassemble and verify that all such screws are properly torqued before heading to the range with your newly purchased rifle no matter what the brand.

DQL5150
07-30-2018, 09:03 PM
I replaced my XPs shite rings and bases with Game-Reaper one-piece mounts. $50, set it and forget it. I've found this and the package Nikon BDC scope to be a suitable combination for my general hunting rig. Good Luck

charlie b
07-30-2018, 11:53 PM
I still have the original mount and rings on my Walmart Axis. I did remove both and reassembled with blue locktite when I first got it. Hasn't budged since. Not what I would call a great setup but it is adequate for casual shooting. Holds MOA or better.

My 12BVSS got Warne base and rings to mount the Vortex PST :)

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk