PDA

View Full Version : 7m-08 barrels

Pages : 1 [2]

Robinhood
08-04-2018, 12:46 PM
150-168 grain bullets for LR
target shooting
1:8.5-1:9 twist

I would offer that even though it is more expensive to get started the 284 is a serious long range cartridge in 7mm. the recoil is manageable. The velocities exceed the 7-08 enabling the use of 160 - 175 grain projectiles...maybe higher. If single loading is not an issue, look that direction. If not the 7mm 08 is awesome for LR accuracy and hunting lighter game.

yobuck
08-05-2018, 09:51 AM
Glad you pointed that out. OP IS interested in a new barrel. He also asked for cartridge and details. So, I gave some details on the cartridge he was interested compared to a cartridge he already has.

Am I not answering his request for details? I guess it doesn't matter, because if he picks a barrel that doesn't make him happy he can always get another, right? He can just randomly pick a barrel, twist rate and caliber until he gets one that makes him happy?

Well he seems to have considerable experience, I have a feeling he pretty much knew the answers.
Maybe we should first clarify at least our own definition of long range and a purpose, before choosing a cartridge, bullet weight etc.
A 7/08 would be very popular at long range sillouette matches because of the muscle needed to knock over the bigger targets at the longer distances. A 260 will be popular also, but only with the heavy bullets.

eddiesindian
08-05-2018, 05:32 PM
I'm not sure I understand why you would want to use 7mm bullets under 130 grains when you already have a 6.5. Most 7mm rifles and bullets are designed for 140 grains and higher.

Visit any bullet manufacturer's website and compare a 120 grain 6.5mm bullet to a 120 grain 7mm bullet. The 6.5 has a much better B.C.

IMO, you should built the 7-08 with 140 grain plus bullets in mind.
roger that.........there isn't a lot of lighter pills to choose from for the 7mm for long range target otherwise Id of already pulled the trigger on a 26"..1-10 twist from criterion
higher bc doesn't always equate to better and consistent accuracy. I don't want to have to tool up for a barrel change either. Im sucking every bit of life from my 308 cartridge go gauges lololo:p

yobuck
08-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Actually a higher BC number, dosent necessarily equate to better anything. Higher velocity with a lower BC bullet can cause it to equal or out perform one having a higher BC. Powder creates the pressure which causes velocity, and the velocity controls the (actual) BC.
Research will show the number on the box is connected to a velocity number, increase the velocity and the number improves and vice versa. Certainly having both is desirable.
One advantage to the 26" would be it could later be rechambered to a 280 or even a 7 rem mag.
But id personally be picking a 9 twist for that. lol

Haiku_Rodney
08-06-2018, 05:02 PM
7mm-08 in a 24” stainless Shaw bbl with a 9.5 twist I think. It rocks 140s.

I have been wanting to re-barrel my 7mm-08 with the Shaw bbl. I couldn't decide between the 9.5 twist and 8 twist. Glad to see your post. I will move ahead with getting the Shaw bbl. I am going with the 7mm-08 AI.

wbm
08-06-2018, 05:46 PM
Don't know why anyone would want to go with an AI in 7mm-08 unless they just like fire forming.

Robinhood
08-06-2018, 10:55 PM
Actually a higher BC number, dosent necessarily equate to better anything. Higher velocity with a lower BC bullet can cause it to equal or out perform one having a higher BC.

Velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC, like diamonds, holds value forever.

yobuck
08-07-2018, 08:48 AM
Velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC, like diamonds, holds value forever.

Only until they both hit the ground, and that requires more distance when it's going faster.
Put some 69 gr SMKs in a 223, and 55 gr SMKs in a 22/250 and go shoot prairie dogs at 500 yds.

eddiesindian
08-07-2018, 09:52 PM
150-168 grain bullets for LR
target shooting
1:8.5-1:9 twist

I would offer that even though it is more expensive to get started the 284 is a serious long range cartridge in 7mm. the recoil is manageable. The velocities exceed the 7-08 enabling the use of 160 - 175 grain projectiles...maybe higher. If single loading is not an issue, look that direction. If not the 7mm 08 is awesome for LR accuracy and hunting lighter game.
I'm starting to consider that. 284 shows great promise seeing as how finding light pills for the 7m08 just ain't gonna happen. If I'm gonna go heavy I might as well go 284 in 7mm.

GaCop
08-17-2018, 08:43 AM
Put that 260AI on a long action with a good barrel and it should be a hummer.

Amen!!!!!