PDA

View Full Version : Chassis comparison

Newsavage
07-24-2018, 02:36 PM
I have a savage axis 223 and looking to up grade to a chassis system. The system I was looking at are the mdt lss/xl, or the xlr element. I know there have been threads on here about them but they were a while back and was wondering if anyone has any new remarks regarding the two chassis system? I have done my research on both. A question that I have is, what is the difference between a v block and a u block. The lss is v block and the element is u block. What is the difference and is one better than the other.

Thanks in advance

psharon97
07-25-2018, 10:41 PM
I have both the MDT LSS and the XLR element chassis. I haven't seen a noticeable difference in affecting the accuracy or precision potential of a rifle. To best determine which system to get, I would look instead towards the purpose of the rifle. If you want a lighter weight precision rifle that you can take hunting, I would grab the MDT LSS chassis then watch the weight of the stock you choose. If you want a dedicated precision rifle system for competition, I would take a hard look at the XLR system.

However, I am much more partial towards the traditional stocks. I have a McMillan stock on order for my PRS competition rifle. The XLR chassis will be repurposed into a backup rifle.

Newsavage
07-25-2018, 11:33 PM
Thank you for the reply. I will be using it's a precision rifle. No competitions just for shooting. Working up distance right now.

charlie b
07-26-2018, 09:27 PM
I don't know what kind of ranges you want to shoot at. I found the biggest hurdle to longer ranges is the 1-9 twist and the transition to subsonic with 69gn bullets. Mine is really good out to 400yd but not so good at 600yd. Have not shot much at 500yd yet. I kinda wish it had come with a 1-7 twist rate to be able to use heavier bullets and push the range a bit more.

Before you spend a lot of money on the stock you might try the original stock. Maybe add some weight and stiffening to it. Mine shot less than MOA all day with the original stock. Explore the rifle's potential before you spend a lot on a stock. I'd hate to see you spend a lot of money on a rifle combination that cannot do what you want.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Newsavage
07-26-2018, 10:20 PM
I don't know what kind of ranges you want to shoot at. I found the biggest hurdle to longer ranges is the 1-9 twist and the transition to subsonic with 69gn bullets. Mine is really good out to 400yd but not so good at 600yd. Have not shot much at 500yd yet. I kinda wish it had come with a 1-7 twist rate to be able to use heavier bullets and push the range a bit more.

Before you spend a lot of money on the stock you might try the original stock. Maybe add some weight and stiffening to it. Mine shot less than MOA all day with the original stock. Explore the rifle's potential before you spend a lot on a stock. I'd hate to see you spend a lot of money on a rifle combination that cannot do what you want.

So I have a 1:9 twist on it now. Spent most of my time shooting at 100 yards to test ladder loads for the rifle. My best grouping there was .47" with a flier that put it out to .59". Would running a 1:8 or a 1:7 improve accuracy or get those bullets out a little farther? You bring up some interesting points. I recently bought a cheek riser for the rifle and now shoot off of a backpack. I find it keeps the rifle more stable, also with a bag under the stock. Thanks for sharing this info before I go head first into the kiddy pool!

psharon97
07-27-2018, 11:59 AM
So I have a 1:9 twist on it now. Spent most of my time shooting at 100 yards to test ladder loads for the rifle. My best grouping there was .47" with a flier that put it out to .59". Would running a 1:8 or a 1:7 improve accuracy or get those bullets out a little farther? You bring up some interesting points. I recently bought a cheek riser for the rifle and now shoot off of a backpack. I find it keeps the rifle more stable, also with a bag under the stock. Thanks for sharing this info before I go head first into the kiddy pool!

A 1:8 or 1:7 twist will allow the barrel to stabilize heavier bullets. Also, you could get a higher quality barrel as well.

Newsavage
07-27-2018, 01:02 PM
A 1:8 or 1:7 twist will allow the barrel to stabilize heavier bullets. Also, you could get a higher quality barrel as well.

Would you be able to provide a website that would have these barrels, other than just one barrel like gun shack has.

charlie b
07-27-2018, 10:20 PM
Try the 'regular' barrel folks. They all will fit barrels to Savages these days. Shaw, Krieger, McGowen, etc.

The shorter twist allows you to stabilize the longer bullets. What you want is a bullet that will stay supersonic out to the distance you want to shoot.

You should be realistic here. Shooting these relatively light bullets at longer ranges is more of an exercise in shooting than the rifle. The slightest amount of wind will shove these little bullets around a lot. If you feel you are up to that kind of challenge then go forward. If not, then you might want to stick with the proven long range cartridges. Mine is a .308 (Savage 12BVSS). I reserve my .223 for shorter range shooting, around 400yd.

And, yes, there are plenty of match shooters using the .223 for longer ranges. If you check, most are using 1in7 twist barrels and 77gn SMK or heavier.

psharon97
07-27-2018, 10:21 PM
If you're looking for a custom barrel, then you could look at most any barrel manufacturer. If you want a prefit barrel, you could call up NorthlandShootersSupply and see what he has in stock. There are several vendors that sale prefit barrels. You could also get a custom barrel made to order from most any reputable barrel manufacturer.

charlie b
07-27-2018, 10:37 PM
I have to amend my post. Krieger does not sell prefit barrels for Savage. Shaw and McGowan do. You can still order a Krieger but you'd have to find a gunsmith to thread and chamber it.

J.Baker
07-28-2018, 12:02 AM
I would see what your factory barrel does before going to the expense and trouble of replacing it. You're getting 1/2 Minute accuracy out of it if you don't screw up and pull a shot, that's a good shooting barrel by most any standards. No sense spending money on an area that really doesn't need it at this point. Put that money towards higher quality glass or your chassis where it will do you more good.

Newsavage
07-28-2018, 11:48 AM
Try the 'regular' barrel folks. They all will fit barrels to Savages these days. Shaw, Krieger, McGowen, etc.

The shorter twist allows you to stabilize the longer bullets. What you want is a bullet that will stay supersonic out to the distance you want to shoot.

You should be realistic here. Shooting these relatively light bullets at longer ranges is more of an exercise in shooting than the rifle. The slightest amount of wind will shove these little bullets around a lot. If you feel you are up to that kind of challenge then go forward. If not, then you might want to stick with the proven long range cartridges. Mine is a .308 (Savage 12BVSS). I reserve my .223 for shorter range shooting, around 400yd.

And, yes, there are plenty of match shooters using the .223 for longer ranges. If you check, most are using 1in7 twist barrels and 77gn SMK or heavier.
My goal is to get into midrange shooting 400-600 very accurately. That's all I'm working on right now. Eventually I will build a PSR for that.

Newsavage
07-28-2018, 11:50 AM
I have both the MDT LSS and the XLR element chassis. I haven't seen a noticeable difference in affecting the accuracy or precision potential of a rifle. To best determine which system to get, I would look instead towards the purpose of the rifle. If you want a lighter weight precision rifle that you can take hunting, I would grab the MDT LSS chassis then watch the weight of the stock you choose. If you want a dedicated precision rifle system for competition, I would take a hard look at the XLR system.

However, I am much more partial towards the traditional stocks. I have a McMillan stock on order for my PRS competition rifle. The XLR chassis will be repurposed into a backup rifle.
Does the MDT lss have enough friend to shoot off a bag? I have recently found I shoot more accurate that way.

Robinhood
07-28-2018, 08:13 PM
Does the MDT lss have enough Forend to shoot off a bag? I have recently found I shoot more accurate that way.

This^ The lss forend is short.

charlie b
07-28-2018, 08:55 PM
I know at 400 you will be OK with the 1in9 twist. At 600 mine can be dicey. According to the ballistics charts my loads drop to subsonic around 600yd.

PS If you do get a chassis then you can shoot the .223 for practice until you decide on a different barrel.