PDA

View Full Version : Tapered threads on barrel?

Cowboys01
07-23-2018, 09:43 PM
I have an aftermarket barrel for a large shank savage that fits the receiver terribly. Has a ton of play in it when it’s just threaded on. I can bottom it out in the action and back it off a half turn and have 3/8” play at the end of a 20” barrel. First noticed when I headspaced and installed it in the stock.. it was way crooked in the barrel channel. Shank diameter is 1.121 at chamber and tapers down to 1.1095 towards the muzzle. Barrel nut also has a bunch of play. Shouldn’t it be 1.120” all the way?

Robinhood
07-23-2018, 11:20 PM
I see a pattern of poor craftsmanship out there.

celltech
07-23-2018, 11:33 PM
Thread pitch diameter is really the critical measurement here. Take a read on the issue a couple of us are having with some x-cal barrels: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?60934-Receiver-threads-drilled-crooked Large shank is based on a 1 1/8" OD.

Cowboys01
07-24-2018, 10:53 AM
Thanks that thread helped a lot. Sounds like me and that gentleman had the same issue. My action has also been trued and timed by a reputable GS but I figured right away on barrel threads. Laid in a manners stock, pillars and devcon. Lug measurements came out all the same, also no contact with the stock at the barrel nut. I’ll get ahold of the company and see if they can make it right. I suppose if they leave me with a paperweight I’ll tell all the brand of it. Figured I’ll give them a chance first. Thanks again

JeepsAndGuns
07-24-2018, 12:31 PM
So it appears that not just x-caliber is having problems cutting the correct threads.
I don't understand why this happening. You would think that if a machinist is skilled enough to cut threads, they are skilled enough to cut them right, otherwise they should not be doing it. Was it a large name brand company, or a gunsmith?

Keep us updated.

Cowboys01
07-26-2018, 12:45 PM
Sent out an email to the company today. Hopefully I get a quick response with answers I like.

GaCop
08-26-2018, 07:17 AM
Did the company ever make good on your threading issue?

Fordoldfart
09-16-2018, 10:18 PM
This is really sad since these are in all likely hood turned and threaded on cnc machines. Somebody is not paying attention.

Robinhood
09-16-2018, 10:54 PM
This is really sad since these are in all likely hood turned and threaded on cnc machines. Somebody is not paying attention.

We all wish they were made on CNC's

Colton
12-23-2018, 07:49 AM
Did the barrel company make good? I just ordered one and now I’m now nervous lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk