PDA

View Full Version : shim SAV-2 trigger?

old_dood
07-21-2018, 12:26 PM
had a Sav-2 on my model 12 for 4-5 years. I usually set for 5 oz. Only issue I have is, over time, it tightens up a few oz. by itself. I was wondering if anyone has added shims to take up the slop in the moving parts and what the result was.

Robinhood
07-21-2018, 02:51 PM
Not sure if this applies, if you lubricate the trigger the thinners/solvents may flash off leaving a sticky goo. This might be a reason for the weight of pull to change. There are trigger specific lubes that will not do that.

If you are asking about shimming the lateral movement on pinned components, trigger or the lever, I'm not sure it would change things. Close tolerance fits are the best option. I have never measured the pin diameters to hole clearance. Never measured the lateral play either.

Dave Hoback
07-21-2018, 03:21 PM
Like Robinhood says, the only reason for it to tighten would be buildup of solidified oil or tarnish/rust on the trigger/sear surfaces. I inspect my triggers for this reason. As for shimming, I also do that. Play in components is the enemy of consistency. That said, I don’t have a SAV-2 trigger. I set up my stock triggers. And I like my modified Accutrigger.

old_dood
07-21-2018, 03:31 PM
Robinhood, are you talking about lubing the pivoting parts or the sear? I lubed the sear as the instructions said when first installed. I understood that to be temporary and now it's clean and dry. I've never lubed any of the pivot points. I may order some KG-5 for those pivot points and some .001 and .002 shims from McMaster Carr.

Robinhood
07-21-2018, 10:02 PM
]Robinhood, are you talking about lubing the pivoting parts or the sear?[/U] I lubed the sear as the instructions said when first installed. I understood that to be temporary and now it's clean and dry. I've never lubed any of the pivot points. I may order some KG-5 for those pivot points and some .001 and .002 shims from McMaster Carr.

I was.

Fotheringill
10-15-2018, 02:28 PM
I also installed a Sav2 trigger (wife did so to tell the truth). It is as crisp as a sub freezing morning, but I too, experienced a side to side movement of the trigger. The tolerances on my housing is dead center on the measurements given in the video.

I am anxiously dood's results.