PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: 99a .358 Safety re-engages to SAFE when rifle is fired

pegli 99R .308
07-21-2018, 11:04 AM
Howdy! I'm hoping to tap into the collective Savage 99 knowledge to help me figure out how to fix the following problem with my 99a .358

Background info
I bought this rifle a few years ago from a fellow Texan, almost unfired condition with a sweet old Weaver K4 on it. Fired it once or twice from the bench - couldn't get it onto the paper using the scope - ran out of windage - figured there was an issue with how the weaver bases were mounted. Let it sit in the safe until I had time to dive in......that was 3 years ago.

In preparation for a public CO elk hunt this fall I've replaced the scope base with a Leupold 1-piece and mounted a VXR 2-7.

Finally had the chance yesterday to spend some time sighting it in. This is the first time I've shot more than a few rounds with this gun. Am extremely pleased with 3/4" 100 yd groups with Hornady 200 grn factory loads. Will try 225 grain Buffalo Bore next.

The problem

Yesterday I noticed that each time I fired a round the tang safety would reset itself back into the SAFE position so that I couldn't open the lever to eject the spent casing (was using a Caldwell lead sled for sighting).

Clearly this will be a problem if a follow up shot is needed.

The safety seems to have some sort of detent ball underneath it as I can feel it bump over something when sliding it forward to the FIRE position.
But it isn't super smooth, doesn't go all the way forward into FIRE sometimes or go all the way backward into SAFE when manually sliding it. But always seems to reset to SAFE when fired.

Have had my 99R .308 apart so and am comfortable taking the 99a apart however as y'all know the safety is different on the 99R.
Hoping to get some info before I dive in for an exploration.

Anyone ever experience this and if so what was the fix?
Anyone have suggestions on what it could potentially be?

Thanks in advance!

Big Al1
07-21-2018, 07:02 PM
Does it go on safe when you fire from your shoulder?? I wonder if the lead sled has something to do with it!

On the other hand, if it shoots that good, you probably won't need a second shot!!:cool:

pegli 99R .308
07-22-2018, 12:13 AM
Thanks for that suggestion, it is an interesting thought.

I haven't tried that but easy enough to check out as there is an indoor range 1/2 mile away. Was working my way up to practice off my pack, standing and sitting off hand, etc.

Yep, seems that it shoots better than my own capability.

I'll be happy if I can get 'minute of elk' groups shooting off-hand.

Old No7
07-25-2018, 03:05 PM
Recoil can move loose scopes backwards in their mounts, so with the butt of the rifle secured (or maybe "too secure"?) in the lead sled, maybe there's enough mass in the safety parts to throw that piece backwards in the action (which can't move).

Be careful with that lead sled...

I've now seen 3 rifles damaged by shooters weighing the sleds down SO much, the stocks took all the recoil -- and broken wrists (the stock, not the shooter...) -- were the result.

I'd try a few rounds without the sled, as was suggested above; and maybe cut the weight on the sled down by half, so you take the "sting" out of the recoil but still get to experience the gun firing and yes, the force and sensation of the recoil -- to me, that's just part of the practice preparing for shooting at game, and I also have to wonder if the point-of-impact of your gun will be widely different when shot with or without the sled???

Best to check that out before you pull a trigger on a big 10-pointer!

Old No7