PDA

View Full Version : drop in barrel

parkj5
09-30-2010, 09:47 AM
ok im looking at doing a custom barrel on the 112 bvss i have. it has a 300 winn mag barrel on it at the moment.im try to deside a few thing and would like someone elses Opinion .i am thinking maybe 25-06 ai. or 257 weatherby mag.i will be using a shilen barrel i am sure.my question is this im new to the custom rifle thing and have few questions on it.i see where shilen has a drop in replacement barrel for my savage.my smith will not use a pre chambered or fitted barrel and will not use the barrel nut he said the conventional recoil lug is more accurate.what are your Opinions on this as i dont have clue. i will be punching paper more than hunting with it.thanks.

trappst
09-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Sounds like you need to find a different smith. Buy a barrel, get the tools needed and do the swap yourself.

Your smith is feeding you a line of crap in order to get deeper into you pocket.

Check the site sponsors for barrels and other stuff.

sinman
09-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Either your smith doesn't know what he's talking about or he just wants more money. You can easily do the swap your self and your gun will probably out shoot ones that he builds anyways

drybean
09-30-2010, 10:26 AM
+1

lucy123
09-30-2010, 11:35 AM
I agree with sinnman. I Put a barrel on my savage 110 in 308 I' m getting .125'' groups with it.

tammons
09-30-2010, 11:52 AM
He is feeding you a line of Crapola.

Geez, my plain Jane 6mmBR, unbedded mind you, would shoot 3/4" groups at 300 yards
with an off the shelf Shilen barrel from midway.

My old 223 VLP factory rifle would shoot 1/4" at 100 yards all day long with the right load.

You bolt on a Shilen barrel yourself up against his nutless premium mucho $$$ job
and you will see zero difference in accuracy.

If you really want a super accurate barrel job, you should have your action
T+T and then send it to Kreiger and let them fit a barrel. If you want something inherently accurate,
I would build an 8 twist 6mmBR.

khuff
09-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Your a paid member, go to ----> http://savageshooters.com/index.php; read for yourself how hard it is, tell your gunsmith to take a hike.

There are needs and uses for Gunsmiths (tuning, tooling, etc...), this is not one of them. The sponsors and members on this site are more than willing to help you, they have a ton of experience and expertise, I suggest you use them. Please take your time and educate yourself, as far as I know the world will not end soon.

There is no other bolt action rifle in the world that is so easy to rebarrel and they're excellent cheap rifles.

parkj5
09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
thanks for all the replies guys i have been looking at a 257 wm barrel from shilen and i do have smith the will change the barrel for me and could probly do it my self.i have been doing some research and even got some replys about the go-no go gauges for a 25-06 ai. just need to make my mind up.the gun has been bedded buy a smith in forest hill and did a good job. i will call him and see if he has the gauges.thanks for the info i know Jim has a 25-06al in stock that is where i got the gun from he is a great guy to deal with.

82boy
09-30-2010, 01:03 PM
my smith will not use a pre chambered or fitted barrel and will not use the barrel nut he said the conventional recoil lug is more accurate.what are your Opinions on this as i dont have clue. i will be punching paper more than hunting with it.thanks.

FIRE THAT IDIOT!!!!!!!!
Don't let him touch any thing of yours.
I have seen a lot of people that call themselves a "Gun Smith" when in fact they are nothing but Hack Butchers. Run fast and far away from them. If you have to send the gun away to SSS, or another Qualified Smith. If you have a slight amount of mechanical ability, you can change it your self. As around I am sure there is someone around you from this site that would be glad to help you change out the barrel.

chet
09-30-2010, 03:13 PM
RUN FORREST RUN..............