PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Tang or receiver sight for my M99

Muddly
07-13-2018, 03:51 PM
Need to decide. Love aperture sights, but have no experience with tang sights. The new Marbles is interesting, but tang sights look fragile compared to a receiver sight.
Of course the receiver sights are bulkier and don't look quite right on a Savage. I would prefer a decent size eyepiece. The tiny or ghost rings don't work for me. Which type to you think would be better?

Model24
07-14-2018, 12:06 AM
My EG has the old Redfield tang mounted sight. It's about as bulky and funny looking as a Williams receiver sight, but I love it dearly. I have a Rossi 92 with a Marbles tang sight, and I love that one just as much. I, too, had grave reservations about it's fragility, but I have had no issues. I handle it about as gingerly as I do a scoped rifle, and it's never so much as lost zero. I recommend it highly.

Muddly
07-14-2018, 12:24 AM
Thanks! I appreciate the input. Might just take the plunge for the Marbles. Wish they came with the screws...

RCE1
07-16-2018, 09:09 PM
My .250 Savage has a nice old Lyman tang sight that looks great on it. I just need to fill the dovetail the original owner left open.

SamlAdams
08-16-2018, 10:14 PM
Just put a Marbles on a circa 1911 .30-30 takedown. Shot it for first time last weekend. Huge improvement. Very easy to get good groups at 100 yards. Folds down on the stock and seems very solid.

Muddly
08-17-2018, 12:42 PM
Awesome! The Marbles seems like a high quality sight. It's well reviewed by many.
Marbles it is!

Muddly
09-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Got my Marbles tang sight and I'm happy happy happy!
The quality of materials, manufacture, fit and finish are outstanding. No tool marks ( even in hidden places) or rounded edges from poor polishing.
The blueing is a very close match to my M99. The sight base is machined, not stamped, and doesn't contact the tang fully until the screws are tightened. I was worried about it contacting or damaging the wood, but there is a nice 1/16 gap between the sight base and the wrist of the stock. Perfect.
The adjustments are positive and the detent clicks quite noticeable.
I was worried I might have to get a taller front sight, as with the open sights, she hit quite high. Not to worry! I can get plenty of elevation back!
I'm using the middle sized aperture, and will zero tomorrow. A significant improvement is in sight acquisition. No conscious effort at all. Shoulder the rifle and it's THERE!
This all steel sight is impressive indeed and for $125 its a no brainer. I'm very pleased

Model24
09-06-2018, 11:29 PM
Very good to hear! The middle aperture is the most useful. The small is for a bright sunny day, and the large is for dawn/dusk.

Travis98146
02-16-2019, 04:47 PM
My '99 has the Marbles tang sight. I lost the adjusting post and insert some years ago but have been able to buy replacements for both. It looks good on the rifle. The peep insert could have been 3/8 or 7/8 but the 7/8 looked too bulky. I never had to use the tang sight as all my hunting shots were under 100 yards. I guess that's why they call it "hunting" and not "shooting".

Travis98146
02-20-2019, 11:41 PM
I got my new tang sight parts in yesterday so I spent part of today to put in the new aperture post and new 3/8 aperture. Now that sight looks and works like it did in 1927.