PDA

View Full Version : tmr vs standard mil dot

mike10
09-30-2010, 02:04 AM
been looking to buy a new scope and was wondering which would be better for target shooting out to 500 yards? Looking at the leupold m4 ext range scopes. Ive recently learned how to use the mil dot system and simply refuse to buy anything different, the system works and its great. With that being said the tmr is a mil based reticle corect? It ranges the same way? Can u get this scope with 1/10 mil adjustments and would the tmr be a better choice for target shooting off a bench as this will be a dual perpose scope and will be used to range targets as well as shooting from a bench at a determined distance. Which is better for the target shooting tmr or standard mil dot, and the tmr IS correctly spaced in mils with half mil marks so the math remains the same for both?

Joe O
09-30-2010, 07:06 AM
For target work at know distances,I can't say that there is any improvement over the plain cross hair,or cross hair with a 1/8" Dot.Mil dots are Ok for small targets if the dots are small enough.Many are not,and block out small targets beyond 300yds or so.I prefer the fine slashes rather than the mil dot reticle.More and more scopes are being offered this way.Nightforce,Vortex,are two.Leupold has the excellent varmit reticle.

ESSCEE
09-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Mike
You need to read the features and specs of the specific scope model you want directly at the Leupold sight. A quick glance at the ER/T-M5 states "M1 windage and elevation adjustment dials with audible, tactile ¼-MOA clicks" and the ER/T-M5 states "M5 windage and elevation adjustment dials with audible, tactile 1/10-MIL clicks"

I am no expert on Mil's or MOA's but I do know that they are a completely different measurement. 1 MIL is just over 3.6 inches at 100 yards and 1 MOA is just a shade over 1 inch at 100 yards. I would make sure the reticle and the adjustments are in the same measurement ie. Mil's or MOA's then the math will always be the same.

here is a link that explains it better than I can. http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/mildot_moa.asp

ICUDIEN
10-01-2010, 08:25 PM
I didn't like my TMR on my Mark 4 because the crosshairs don't touch in the middle. IMO they aren't very good for target shooting

Dinosdeuce
10-17-2010, 10:13 AM
MLR type over MIL dots, in my opinion is more accurate for adjusting your holdovers. I have several MIL dot scopes and one NSX 5.5x22 with the MLR recticle. I really like it for the type of shooting I do. I shoot matches at steel targets from 220 to 875 yds. I can spot my own shots and correct accordingly for the next shot. I dial elevation and hold for wind. Since it is not a FFP scope the recticle will only be accurate on one power, usually at max power. Most SFP scopes will be like this.
How this comes in to play, my Night Force is calibrated at 22X which I rarely shoot at that magnification. Since I hold for wind and your dope says hold 1.5 MILs for 20mph@ 600yds and you are at 18X 1.5 MILs is not 1.5 MILs. This could be the difference between a hit or a miss. You could do the math and figure out how much you need to hold then hope you were close or you could get a FFP scope and not worry about it.

Goodluck