PDA

View Full Version : Finally got the stock clear coated

zap
07-11-2018, 11:49 PM
I finally had my stock auto cleared. I found a guy that has done a few in the past, and I am happy with the way it turned out. I have posted, several posts down below,when I polished the stainless out this past winter with the stock dyed orange.

So, here is the finished rifle below. It looks better in person for sure.

Evlshnngns
07-13-2018, 12:51 AM
That looks GOOD! I plan to do the same, it's pretty tough stuff.

J.Baker
07-13-2018, 01:30 AM
Looks great, but a little too glossy for my tastes.

243LPR
07-14-2018, 08:44 AM
Hope it shoots as good as it looks!

Jonathan.huwe
03-08-2019, 12:12 AM
Looks great!

Robinhood
03-08-2019, 01:20 AM
Somebodyisworkingonthreadcount.

DeltaNu1142
03-08-2019, 03:57 AM
That stock looks like it should have an inboard motor. Pretty.

Somebodyisworkingonthreadcount.
That's funny. And probably true.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-08-2019, 09:25 AM
Looks good from here. :cool::cool:
(Jim: If you don't care for the "shine", you can add a satin to the spray mix.;))
My first go around with Automotive Clear Coat was on a Laminated stock for my XP 100 converted rifle in .221 Fireball.
It WAS finished with Beachwood Casey True Oil. Needed something else/different so I sanded it down to raw wood. Dropped it off at our Body Shop and told them to shoot it the next time they were shooting a Clear Coat finish. Couple of days later it was finished. Probably 5 coats of clear? Pretty thick.:cool: That finish brought out colors I didn't know existed in that laminated stock. Deep rich colors and finish. That sold me.The under coat of Beachwood Casey True Oil acted as a filler.
All of my stocks get a clear coat finish now. Small jobs with a sprayed on Poly coat but the big jobs get Automotive Clear. Tough as nails.
You need to be set up to shoot Automotive Clear. In a body shop, hang the stock on a nail and while you're shooting the car, turn around and shoot the stock a time or two. Pretty easy that way. Bad stuff if you don't take the proper precautions. Known to make your babies be born naked!!:eek:

celltech
03-08-2019, 10:07 AM
The resulting fingerprints would drive my OCD into overtime...but looks great when clean!

PhilC
03-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Bad stuff if you don't take the proper precautions.
Very true. I spray, I know. If you really want the best protection, use polyurethane clear vs typical body shop urethane. Either will crack if impacted, especially if there are multiple coats. I like that kind of gloss on cars and trucks, not my rifles, but, to each their own and whatever makes you happy. :peace:

big honkin jeep
03-08-2019, 02:22 PM
Looks nice