PDA

View Full Version : Savage Edge Trigger Adjustment

Pages : [1] 2

stevenorlando
09-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Hello,

Is the trigger pull adjustable on a Savage Edge?

Can a gunsmith adjust the trigger pull?

Steve

ellobo
09-30-2010, 12:44 AM
No and No. Best bet is check the Timney trigger website. Supposedly they have an adjustable trigger for the edge.
El Lobo

bluealtered
09-30-2010, 11:20 AM
The trigger pull can be adjusted some, by cutting the coil spring down a coil or so. You can find some posts on it at predatormasters.com. blue

derrikg
03-01-2011, 12:39 AM
here is a link to another company that is making a trigger with 1-3lb pull http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/default.aspx?productnumber=254387

DoubleUp
03-01-2011, 03:56 PM
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=184206&Number=1717240#Post1717240

The above thread on Predator Masters will show you in detail how to rework the factory trigger to about 3 lbs.

Rifle Basix has a replacement for the Edge/Axis called the Sav1. It costs $85 including shipping to your home. Installation is easy. I have mine set at 2 lbs.

NeverNoLuck
03-01-2011, 11:16 PM
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=184206&Number=1717240#Post1717240

The above thread on Predator Masters will show you in detail how to rework the factory trigger to about 3 lbs.

Rifle Basix has a replacement for the Edge/Axis called the Sav1. It costs $85 including shipping to your home. Installation is easy. I have mine set at 2 lbs.

Did what you see on the PM website to mine, agree about 3lbs, done a little polishing and made mine better but not much, easier to buy one ;)

maliboy67
03-03-2011, 09:31 PM
I just finished tweeking mine and it works great. I removed the factory spring, found a drill rod that fit snug into the spring hole and trimmed it slightly shorter than the safety adjustment screw to use as a spring guide. I tried out a few springs trimmed to length until i found one that felt good. Polished the trigger parts and tested to make sure everything worked properly and was safe. Cost about $2 in parts and about 1 hour of work. Not sure of the pull weight but it is 1000% better than stock and above all safe. If I want to put the factory spring back in all I have to do is pull the drill rod out and put the factoy spring in.

DoubleUp
03-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Glad it worked out for you.

Herman
03-12-2011, 06:50 PM
There is always a way to modify anything, it just depends on how creative you are and now far you are willing to do. A trigger mod is quite simple for the Edge/Axis.

I did the same as mailboy 67.

I used a alan wrench that fit snug into the hole, cut it so it stuck out about 1/4" to hold the spring. Found a spring that would work at True Value hardware (It was actually twice as long as i needed, so i have 2 ;D). Works great! Cut the pull about in half (I don't have any way to measure). Best thing is, I didn't do any permanent modifications as to not void the warranty. All I have to do to put it back to factory is pull the alan wrench part and spring out and put in the new spring.

wrvet05
03-21-2011, 07:56 PM
I have spoken on the phone with Timney triggers they have just produced the first batch of triggers and are awaiting test results they will run about $104 and should be available in 2 weeks.

Single Six
04-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Bit of polishing and a bit of use and mine is plenty light, still safe. You MUST know what you're doing before you attempt trigger work, and you MUST test it afterward.

Herman
04-18-2011, 11:00 PM
...... and you MUST test it afterward.

Yep, it's a good time to put on that white tank top and pretend you are on Cops. Slap the Schmidt out of the gun (unloaded!) and see if you can get the firing pin to go. I'll also bump the butt of the gun on a hard floor as well. It would be a good idea to remove the scope while doing this just in case.

johnnyp
04-21-2011, 07:24 PM
The trigger pull can be adjusted some, by cutting the coil spring down a coil or so. You can find some posts on it at predatormasters.com. blue

That is what I did and it worked great. It was really simple.

hogstooth
04-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Savage Axis SS 30-06 with trigger job from

I used an Ace Hardware #5 spring from their assortment bin. Trigger is about 2.75lbs now. Total cost about $1.25 and completely reversable if ever desired. Very clean mod.

Three shots at 200 yards (laser ranged) with 200 gr. cast gas check bullets...50 grains Accurate 8700, CCI 250 primers. 1/4 moa.

I haven't figured out how to insert an image here yet

miassmaro98
05-02-2011, 10:29 AM
cool this may be my next mod

gmen0101
06-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I just did the Ace Hardware trigger mod, but I used a set screw instead of the tension (roll) pin shown in the other link; less than a buck for the parts. Install took about half an hour including slam testing for safety. I put some snap caps in to finish testing and what a difference. Even my son commented on how much of an improvement it is.

dacaur
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Just did the mod to my .308 edge.... wow big difference... before I took out the old spring I laid the action/bbl on its side on my bed and pulled toward me with just the trigger... the action would slide toward me without "fireing" the gun. I used a .160" roll pin and a sping that "felt right"... I probably didnt need to but I used red locktight on the roll pin to make sure it never comes out, that would be bad... Sill had to press the roll pin in with an arbor press so i doubt it would have come out anyway, but I like to be safe... Anyway. Now with the action/bbl lying on the bed I can do the same test as before and it "fires" before the action moves... Nice...... Trigger pull feels really light, near as I can measure its 3lbs 8oz, but thats not with a real trigger pull scale... thats with a regular electronic scale, gun placed butt down on scale, scale tared so it reads 0 with the gun on it, then pull down on the trigger down till it "fires"... highest reading was always between 3lbs 8oz and 3lbs 13oz, but since the gun doesnt sit on the scale without me supporting it, the waight constantly jumps around about 5 ounces +/- .... it came up 3lbs 8 oz most often....

Cant wait to shoot it....

thomae
08-10-2011, 10:36 AM
If you want/need to reduce trigger creep, here is a mod that you can do (and undo) yourself.

I originally did this on a Savage 200, but in principle, it would work on just about any rifle (of course, not needed if you have a three screw trigger with the sear engagement screw already installed).

Here it is quoted and edited for brevity:
If you would like to read the complete posting, please go to:
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,27132.msg294803.html#msg294803

I was trying to figure out how to reduce creep when I read an article about CZ rimfires and using aluminum foil duct tape (NOT the regular cloth Duct tape or Duck tape, but the real foil stuff that HVAC pros use) as a shimming material.

I took the stock off, put brake cleaner on a rag and fully degreased the sear engagement surfaces and then cut three small pieces of foil tape and used them as shims to reduce the amount of sear engagement.

I don't have a photo, but if you look at the diagram here (http://"http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage110trigger.html"), I put the tape on the upper surface where the arrow points to "Key NO.2" since Stevens triggers don't have that sear engagement screw. (I wrapped the edges of the tape around the sides of the trigger for a better hold.) If you look at White7's photo in this thread (http://www.gunblast.com/images/Stevens-200/MVC-001F.jpg), the tape goes on the trigger just above where the blob of grease is.

I tested it (dry firing) and everything seemed to work except the safety. I backed out the safety engagement screw about one eighth of a revolution to compensate for the shim.

I re-Lubed the engagement surfaces with moly powder and dry fired it a bunch to work the moly into the metal.

Reinstalled the stock, banged it on the ground, slammed the bolt, knocked it in all directions with a big piece of wood and the safety works as it should.

After dry firing, there is pretty much no creep, and the trigger break is a surprise every time.

Gotta love those Savage/Stevens rifles.

If anyone wants to try this, but doesn't want to spend the dough for an entire roll of tape, PM or email me for my address. Send me a SASE with a polite request, and I'll send you back enough tape to do several rifles. It doesn't take much. I used less than 1/2 square inch for the one rifle.

I hope this is understandable. If not, please ask questions.
All the best.

This will work on an Edge as well. I would not suggest filing the sear engagement surfaces and they are surface hardened and if you cut through the hardened metal, you will have much softer metal below. Perhaps a very light stoning if there are burrs, but personally, I simply dry fire my new savage rifles about a hundred times to break in the sear.

Best of luck.
Have fun, and be safe.

sayak
08-12-2011, 12:14 PM
After making a trigger adjustment with a new spring, I polished the contact surfaces of the sear with my dremel and jeweler's rouge until they shined. Can't hurt.

thomae
08-12-2011, 01:41 PM
After making a trigger adjustment with a new spring, I polished the contact surfaces of the sear with my dremel and jeweler's rouge until they shined. Can't hurt.

Actually it could hurt, unless you follow the admonishment and sage advice given by master gunsmith Elmer Fudd.
Namely, "Be Vewwy Vewwy Cawful!"
It is not difficult at all to round off the edge of the sear/trigger engagement surfaces and thereby change the engagement geometry.
I'm not saying, "Thou shalt not do this!" but rather, "Make sure you really know what you are doing and what the consequences of your actions will be." before you begin.