PDA

View Full Version : Savage Edge Trigger Adjustment

Pages : 1 [2]

sayak
08-15-2011, 01:19 AM
After making a trigger adjustment with a new spring, I polished the contact surfaces of the sear with my dremel and jeweler's rouge until they shined. Can't hurt.

Actually it could hurt, unless you follow the admonishment and sage advice given by master gunsmith Elmer Fudd.
Namely, "Be Vewwy Vewwy Cawful!"
It is not difficult at all to round off the edge of the sear/trigger engagement surfaces and thereby change the engagement geometry.
I'm not saying, "Thou shalt not do this!" but rather, "Make sure you really know what you are doing and what the consequences of your actions will be." before you begin.

I'm a jeweler by avocation. I know how to buff to a high shine without changing the shape of metal. With a Dremel it would be vewwy, vewwy hard to buff off enough metal to change the geometry of the trigger surfaces. A large bench buffer, maybe. Anyway, I believe it helped to improve the trigger pull, and I am happy with the results. I would recommend it to anyone with a basic knowledge of tool usage and how triggers work.

thomae
08-15-2011, 06:19 AM
+1 to Sayak who obviously does know what he is doing!

Indiana223
08-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I cut coils fom trigger spring and now its pulling 2.75 lbs. and feels great before it was a 5 lb. trigger. Before the trigger change I was shooting less then 1" (.9135") group at 100 with a 55 gr. bullet. This 223 is a great rifle,so if you looking for a new rifle buy the Axis and save your money. My son has the same rifle and he likes his trigger so we are leaving it alone. We are busting Milk jugs at 300 yards with ease. I removed the the bushnell scope's and added Pentax 4x12x40 scopes with the bullet drop reticle. Cant wait untill this winter to bust A few coyotes.

Smokey262
08-28-2011, 07:09 PM
I am curious, what method did you use to measure the group size to 0.0001" accuracy?

Indiana223
08-29-2011, 07:35 AM
Absolute Digimatic Mitutoyo Engineering calibers.

thomae
08-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Perhaps the accuracy of the measurement is only to the nearest .0005."
:D

stangfish
08-29-2011, 06:03 PM
It could happen. ;D.

Indiana223
08-29-2011, 08:18 PM
LOL ;D :D

Smokey262
08-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Maybe I need to get me one of them there things ;)

hd5
08-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Absolute Digimatic Mitutoyo Engineering calibers.

I thought he made that up. But they sell them on Amazon for $121.00....................(:

thomae
08-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Or you can purchase, functionally, the same thing for $19.99 (and put the money you saved aside for ammo, barrel, new rifle...):
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-47257.html?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase&hft_adv=40010&mr:trackingCode=2F6C0F9E-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA

dacaur
09-10-2011, 09:30 AM
The problem with the harbor freight calipers is they eat batteries like they are going out of style, and they are not consistently consistent.... I have two from harbor freight, one is always correct, the other is only correct the first time you open it, then you have to close it and re-zero or it measures wrong... same model # just bought at different times.... Both will kill the battery in about a month, even if they are off and not used..... A decent digital caliper will have 1+ year of battery life, even if used on a daily basis, much longer if used infrequently, like for reloading.... Personally, I like a nice dial caliper. Starret, brown and sharp, mititoyo, are what I recommend, but they are spendy... You generally get what you pay for here, but you can get lucky and get a good inexpensive caliper. Start with the jaws closed, open them halfway and them measure a cartridge, close them most of the way, then re-open and measure again, if you cant do that 5 times in a row and always get the EXACT same measurement, they calipers are junk....
This is what I use every day at work http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=PC307-3602&PMPANO=0602957&PMKANO=301&PMKBNO=2559&PMPAGE=27&PARTPG=INLMPI but like I said, I use the harbor freight jobbies at home, but only because I cannot find my brown and sharp dial calipers.... I think my 2 year old ran off with them somewhere... ???

thomae
09-10-2011, 11:07 AM
The problem with the harbor freight calipers is they eat batteries like they are going out of style, and they are not consistently consistent.... I have two from harbor freight, one is always correct, the other is only correct the first time you open it, then you have to close it and re-zero or it measures wrong... same model # just bought at different times.... Both will kill the battery in about a month, even if they are off and not used..... A decent digital caliper will have 1+ year of battery life, even if used on a daily basis, much longer if used infrequently, like for reloading.... Personally, I like a nice dial caliper. Starret, brown and sharp, mititoyo, are what I recommend, but they are spendy... You generally get what you pay for here, but you can get lucky and get a good inexpensive caliper. Start with the jaws closed, open them halfway and them measure a cartridge, close them most of the way, then re-open and measure again, if you cant do that 5 times in a row and always get the EXACT same measurement, they calipers are junk....
This is what I use every day at work http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=PC307-3602&PMPANO=0602957&PMKANO=301&PMKBNO=2559&PMPAGE=27&PARTPG=INLMPI but like I said, I use the harbor freight jobbies at home, but only because I cannot find my brown and sharp dial calipers.... I think my 2 year old ran off with them somewhere... ???

Hmmm...My experience has been better. Perhaps I have a different model or something. Long battery life (had them over a year with no battery replacement) and consistent measuring. Perhaps good batches and bad batches? However, a good set of dial calipers are wonderful and will also teach you/whoever uses them how to read an analog dial.

All the best.