PDA

View Full Version : 112 HS precision question

h. dumpty
07-06-2018, 08:46 PM
I purchased a 112 338lm with the HS precision stock a number of years ago and have only dissappointed with it. It was one of those that savage put out which had the sticky bolt after firing. Accuracy was good but I would have to tap the case out with a cleaning rod probably 50% of the time. I got aggrevated with it, took the barrel off and threw it in back of the safe for a rainy day project. Well the rainy day has come.
(Now for the question) I am kind of confused on what barrel shank the 112 338lm has. Is the shank size a large shank? Also is the large shank the same as a target shank?
( for those that are curious ) I was thinking about a McGowan barrel but there are so many to choose from

quigley257
07-07-2018, 10:48 PM
Was there ever a given reason for the sticky bolt lift? My first instinct would be to have the chamber bumped forward if the barrel was a good shooter. Any smith with a reamer should be able to touch up the chamber quickly and for minimal cost.

h. dumpty
07-08-2018, 12:43 PM
Yeah my smithy slugged it to take some measurements, he said it was slightly out of spec all around (but mostly at the shoulder. Sorry, i dont remember exactly how much it was out of spec) The smithy did say it was most likely from the manufacturer over using the reamer. This made sense to me because the shoulder spot on the reamer would be seeing most of the cutting. I do agree that it would be the most economical way to go and touch up the chamber, but im just tired of fighting with the thing. Plus my smithy made it sound as though he may not be able to get it perfect (which sounded fishy to me.) I figured i would just end the misery once and for all and order a barrel and headspace it myself.
Now if only I could figure out what shank this thing has. I'm assuming it's a large shank just because its a magnum round but I got confused about the target shank and large shank

Robinhood
07-08-2018, 10:31 PM
OR you could find out if you have a primary extraction issue. You can also polish the bore with some medium or fine scotchbright wrapped around a snug bore fitting bronze/brass brush on a drill motor.

h. dumpty
07-09-2018, 08:21 PM
OR I already polished the bore before i took it into the smithy, it was the first thing I did before I took it to someone else. I was doubtful of primary extraction myself but the smithy definitely ruled it out, then he slugged it.

J.Baker
07-10-2018, 01:51 AM
There's no such thing as a "Target Shank". All the Savage Precision Target Actions and the Target Series rifles equipped with them use the large shank size which is probably where they're picking up the target term.

h. dumpty
07-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Cool thank you J. Baker. It's appreciated.