PDA

View Full Version : Muzzel break

rjkrumb
07-06-2018, 02:38 PM
Would I gain anything putting my break off my 308 on my 6.5 creedmoor.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

SageRat Shooter
07-06-2018, 03:38 PM
It would work... It's large enough to allow the bullet to travel freely, and would reduce recoil... you don't really need much recoil reduction with a 6.5 Creed... I shoot a .260 rem and I don't have it braked at all, not even threaded. With that said, I had planned to put one on, but it shoots to dang good to risk messing it up.

Rob01
07-07-2018, 08:26 AM
It would cut the recoil as it does on the .308. I have brakes on my Creedmoors for match shooting and they have very light recoil. Give it a try and see how you like it.

PB_Crisp
07-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Muzzle brakes work with 2 factors...
The ports and the gas.
You can change or improve each...to some extant.

The shape, size and amount of ports can change how well a brake works...and the proximity to the bore. By proximity, think about a 50 BMG brake on a 223. The bore size is SO big that the ports aren't in close enough proximity to really do much...even though they may have the right shape, size and etc.

Secondly, the gas is a factor. Brakes don't do much on 22lr. Of course, there isn't much recoil to begin with, but there also isn't much gas for the brake to use. Every action - equal opposite reaction. The more gas there is for the brake to redirect, the more effect it will be at reducing recoil.

Typically, a 6.5CM uses slower burning powder and has less total bore volume than a 308. Thus, there SHOULD be more gas for a brake to use on a 6.5CM. There is also less recoil, just due to bullet weight and etc...but not by much.

Long winded way to say:
A 308 brake will be worth some recoil reduction on a 6.5CM. How much and if it's worth it might be up for you to test and decide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

tobnpr
07-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Efficiency is maximized with minimal overbore clearance, typically .020 or so.
That said, provided it's an effective brake design to begin with it will still be so on a 6.5.

Rob01
07-07-2018, 10:46 AM
The .308 brake is not so overly sized it will negatively effect recoil reduction on a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a Creedmoor with a .338 supressor adapter on it and the brake works well. Also have .30 brakes on 6.5 Creedmoors and a 6 Creedmoor. Works great. Also have a 6.5mm brake on a 6.5 Creedmoor and you can't feel the difference between it and the .30 brake.