PDA

View Full Version : 243 Savage Storm

Linedog
07-06-2018, 10:14 AM
I have recently bought a new 243 left hand Storm . Shoots good , bolt nice and smooth . If and when I shoot this barrel out can I rebarel it with a varmit profile barrel and keep the factory stock ? There isn’t much room outside of the factory barrel now .

SageRat Shooter
07-06-2018, 01:46 PM
In my experience thus far, you won't be able to go to a varmint contour unless you get a new stock that is either already inlet for a varmint barrel, or has enough meat around the channel (inlet for a standard sporter) to allow you to open the channel further.

You may be able to get a "heavy sporter" or a "lite varmint" contour to fit, but you will be really thin around the barrel channel.

Linedog
07-06-2018, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the reply . That’s what I wanted to know , just would like a slighly larger and longer barrel , like the Savage 10 predator max 1 has , but Savage no longer makes them in left hand .

SageRat Shooter
07-06-2018, 03:29 PM
I hear ya man!!! We lefties get the short end with just about everything... I recommend the heavy sporter contour when you decide to swap barrels. All of my aftermarket barrels are Criterion, so I'm biased towards them a bit. Take a look when you get a chance... If you go with a Boyds Laminate stock or something similar you could probably get a lite varmint to fit.

Linedog
07-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Yah, I wouldn’t want to give up the accustock with the accufit. Was hoping a slightly larger barrel would fit .

SageRat Shooter
07-06-2018, 03:42 PM
Sporter to be safe. I had an accustock on my Axis 22-250 originally and I put a heavy sporter in. The problem I ran into was that the aluminum bar that runs the length of the barrel channel had to be removed because the contour of the heavy sporter was larger and wasn't freefloating... So, the accustock was no longer an accustock.