PDA

View Full Version : J-Series??

Valmet
07-03-2018, 02:28 AM
Have an opportunity to purchase a Savage 112 “J Series” rifle in 220 Swift and am unfamiliar with them. What makes them a “J” series and what years were they mfg’d? Any info is appreciated!

Valmet81REMOVETHIS@gmail.com

Nor Cal Mikie
07-03-2018, 09:11 AM
The "J" series as we owners call them is a "in betweener" length action. Longer than the now short action and shorter than the now long action. Back end is the same as any other top bolt release. Front end at the recoil lug is a little longer than the short action. Fitted stocks can be hard to find but if you move the front action screw hole forward in the stock about 1/4", you're good to go.
From what I've heard over the years, Savage was trying to standardize the action lengths so they were doing away with the "J" series. I think mine came from early 1968? 110V in .223. Proper fitting one piece scope mounts are a PITA to get. All holes won't match. Either too long, too short and the same for fitting over the port. Had a "custom" one piece mount built by taking two new mounts, cutting them in two mixing the pieces and having them welded together. Can't tell it from factory made and it has a rear windage adjustment. All holes match and the mount cut out fits the port like it was made for it.:cool:
Bolt bodies are a different length. A few "J" series are available from time to time. Some single shots. I love mine and will never part with it. Mine started me on the Savage Rifle. Mine was/is a test bed for different calibers. Been 20 VT, 20 VT "short" wildcat, .221 Fireball, .223, .223 with a brake, .308, 6.8 SPC, 6.8 BR Wildcat, 22 BR, 6 BR, and I think it's now a 20 TCM. I'd have to look to tell for sure.:smile-new:

sharpshooter
07-03-2018, 12:12 PM
The series"J" has nothing to do with action length. The series "J" was a designation given to rifles made after 1966 when there were major changes to the trigger and bolt. The first generation short actions were already out, so a "J" series could be a long or a first generation short action. The first generation short actions were dropped in 1987, and so was the "series J" designation.