PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Identify my Mod 10 so I can get Another One

LuvmyLRP
07-02-2018, 01:57 PM
I got a used Mod 10 .223 5 to 10 years ago and didn't think much of the many varieties of Mod 10s at the time. It had a bull barrel and a cheap plastic factory stock. I'm a sucker for bull barrels and I like the accu trigger better than any of the other manufacturers' stock triggers. I shot it, liked it, restocked it with a Boyd's target stock, and bedded it. That's all I did to make it a great shooter. It needs a new barrel, but it still shoots better than most off the shelf .223s. I want to get a new one to keep it company in it's old age, but I don't know what it is. There are so many different Mod 10 variants out there and I cannot match it to any of them. Mine has a short (2 1/2") ejection port and a short magazine. All the new models that I have seen have a long/short (3") ejection port and a blocked out magazine to shorten it for .223 rounds. My mod 10 precision carbine is like that. They all just have Mod 10 stamped on them. Can some one please help me find out what I have and what is now a match for It?

J.Baker
07-02-2018, 02:31 PM
You're not going to find anything new that doesn't have the 3" port and a block in the magazine. That's how they've been making them for years now. Just out of curiosity, what's the serial number on your rifle? (just X-out the last two digits - i.e. F6543XX)

LuvmyLRP
07-02-2018, 04:45 PM
J. Baker
Serial # is G4822XX.

J.Baker
07-02-2018, 04:59 PM
Model 10
AccuTrigger
.223 Rem
Heavy Barrel
Tupperware Stock

Assuming this wasn't some special run model for a distributor or big-box store, it sounds like a standard Model 10FP to me. You didn't specify the type of magazine it has. Standard 10FP would be a blind/internal magazine, while a detachable box magazine would be a 10FCP and the same with a threaded muzzle would be a 10FCP-SR (though the SR's have used both Savage and AI magazines over the years).

J.Baker
07-06-2018, 07:36 PM
S/N dates your rifle to 2005. I have 4 different Savage S/A rifles here spanning about 20 years worth of production and every one of them has a 3" port.

Does your action have a small port (closed in top, just a port in side of action like a Target action) or is it a standard repeater port (side and top open)?

I know Savage made some 14W's back in the day (2003-4ish) that were built on 10ML-II receivers that had accidentally been machined for a magazine, but those all had an "M" serial number prefix, were flat-top receivers and took a large shank barrel. Savage is pretty good at repurposing screwed up parts like that, so who knows what the story is behind your odd-ball.

Robinhood
07-06-2018, 09:15 PM
Pictures? Barrel Stamp Information?