PDA

View Full Version : 338 RUM or Edge Build

Pages : 1 [2]

pd721el
10-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Here a pic you may find interesting. I love the 338 Edge it is great. I own a custom 338 edge repeater based on a lawton LA and a wyatt ext box. The reamer is the PT&G std 338 edge set up for a repeater. Max OAL to the land is 2.735 and this fits nicely in the box, but is a compressed load at 92gr H1000.
In the pic the top bullet is a 300 SMK, The top round is a 300 SMK loaded to the rifling in my gun 2.735. The second round is a 300 SMK loaded at 2.935. This should fit in the new Seekins bottom metal I have coming. the lower bullets are 250 SMK and Accubond. This just shows how much bullet you are sticking in the case to have a repeater.
FWIW!!! What I've learned is that If I would do it over I'd put together a single shot and throat it long. Then you don't have to fight the mag box when reloading.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii326/pd721el/Picture006.jpg

358Hammer
10-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time putting together this pictoral expletive.

This graphic explanation is so much easier to appreciate.

My Edge's with 225 Accubond's are at 3.850. The match 245gr Lehigh's are closer to your 300SMK in OAL.

Neal

BrettSass844
10-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Here is a great article on barrel length. A shorter barrel wouldn't be so bad running the 250s.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/bullets_ballastics/long_barrel_velocity.htm

ESSCEE
10-06-2010, 03:59 PM
This is getting scary ??? Is there no way to make a repeater that will hold the larger 300's and properly work? seems by the pictures that you will need another .2 at least in mag OAL capacity. What is the optimum OAL for the EDGE round? I am researching this same build and definitely want a repeater as well however I want it to be right.

From Defensive Edge, Sean Carlock's websight he lists several different loads 8 to be exact, 6 list OAL of 3.785 and the other 2 have OAL of 3.685 and 3.725. All the loads with 3.785 OAL are 300gr bullets, the 3.685 OAL is a 250gr, and the 3.725 is a 200gr.

Is it possible to get a mag to properly hold and be capable of feeding the OAL of 3.785?

Scott

learjet
10-06-2010, 06:46 PM
ESSCEE i went through all the issues ur seeing when i was planning my rifle. i went w 338 rum, and i can tellya that for it to function as a repeater w the factory magazine i need to keep my OAL to 3.590 or a bit less. i havent bothered tryin any 300g bullets, but w various 250s i cant use the slow bulky powders many prefer - the loads are awful compressed. fortunately my rifle likes H4831SSC, and gives me the velocities i wanted w my 28" barrel, without using compressed loads. my rifle shoots right with my buddys 338 lapua, and cost less than half as much to build

if stockade is doin a mag conversion im guessin hes gonna get mighty busy hehe...jc is stockade modifying the magazine? is the issue the feed lips?

jc
10-06-2010, 07:59 PM
I modified the mag before I sent it too him. The feed lips are perfect on the AM 3.85 338 lapua mag. The problem is where the lapua shoulder starts way back and the Rum case is much further forward. I had to put the mag in a press and presa in the side indention's of the case that would be in front of the shoulder of the lapua but behind it on the RUM case. It was pretty easy and only took a few minutes and it works perfectly now. Should be a pretty slick deal.

learjet
10-06-2010, 10:11 PM
thx jc! if u have a moment couldya post some pix? and keep us updated on stockades work? always considered i could ream my barrel out to the edge anytime; the mags the final piece of the puzzle

jc
10-06-2010, 10:52 PM
I will put pics and more info up when I get it back. I would post pics of the mag but he has that too .

pd721el
10-06-2010, 11:44 PM
The Accurate Magazine conversion sounds interesting. I have handled the AM mag bottom metal and mag that comes on the 700 p 338 LM. It seems serviceable. This is the shorter of the 2 OAL's they make. If there is a way to use the 338 LM AI mag, the issue of the shoulder in this mag has been addressed also. They are simple machining the ribs completely out. I then looks like the mag has a long vertical window in it. If you are worried about bust simply cover the openings with black tape.

Also I'm not trying to talk anyone out of building this gun, I just haven't seen a good way to have a repeater in a savage. There are a few guys that have lengthend thier mag boxes but I've never seen a pic of how it was done or how it feeds. There may be but I have not seen the thread about it. I'm am struggling with feeding from one side of my magazine and decided I'd spend the cash on the Seekins metal. This should be a great up grade for me but not very helpful for you guys.

KRP
10-07-2010, 01:35 AM
This is getting scary ??? Is there no way to make a repeater that will hold the larger 300's and properly work? seems by the pictures that you will need another .2 at least in mag OAL capacity. What is the optimum OAL for the EDGE round? I am researching this same build and definitely want a repeater as well however I want it to be right.

From Defensive Edge, Sean Carlock's websight he lists several different loads 8 to be exact, 6 list OAL of 3.785 and the other 2 have OAL of 3.685 and 3.725. All the loads with 3.785 OAL are 300gr bullets, the 3.685 OAL is a 250gr, and the 3.725 is a 200gr.

Is it possible to get a mag to properly hold and be capable of feeding the OAL of 3.785?

Scott

It can be done, I've got two rifles that will feed 3.785+ from the magazine. The centerfeed mag was much easier to modify. Blind magazines of course, detachable mags are less useful then short actions to me so I don't know anything about those.

ESSCEE
10-07-2010, 03:02 AM
KRP

Did you do the modifycation yourself or did you send it out and where did you send it? Also with the blind mag how many can you load?

Thanks
Scott

KRP
10-07-2010, 11:31 AM
I did it, mag holds two rounds.

ESSCEE
10-08-2010, 05:54 AM
Sweet any pic's and or tutorials? You need to have a degree in smithing and a million bucks worth of equipment or can an average guy do it?

Thanks
Scott

shorin
10-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, I got the first part of my build today. I found a 110 in 270 (small shank) cheap at a gun show... It's a newer model with accutrigger so now I just need a barrel, and a stock, and a dbm kit, and the reloading dies, and brass, and....

Danny

geargrinder
10-09-2010, 11:20 PM
It can be done, I've got two rifles that will feed 3.785+ from the magazine. The centerfeed mag was much easier to modify. Blind magazines of course, detachable mags are less useful then short actions to me so I don't know anything about those.

That's real funny, what you said about detachable mags and short action. I couldn't agree more.

I built an Edge repeater on a stagger feed and never felt it was worthwhile. I can see how a centerfeed would be much better and wouldn't ruin an action for switch barrel work.

I do have a long action centerfeed. I might get another Edge barrel and blind mag stock and see how it goes together.

I hate to admit it to you, but the long action centerfeed I have now, I'm using with a detachable mag with short action cartridges. I use it for hunting with a 300wsm and the wife uses it for a 308.