PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Adjustable Pillars For a Savage MKII

lee1000
06-29-2018, 08:39 PM
Hello, I have a MKII BV that will soon be fitted with a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock in walnut. My plan is to install pillars and bed it. I've never bedded a rifle before.

Are adjustable pillars like these an option for this stock arrangement? Will other adjustable pillars work? I don't have the machinery required to do this with traditional pillars.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/pillar-bedding/pillar-bedding-sleeves/adjustable-pillar-bedding-sleeves-prod982.aspx

Also, what do you recommend for drilling the holes?

Thanks in advance

J.Baker
07-04-2018, 03:47 AM
Don't see the need for adjustable pillars, they still install the same as regular pillars. Most standard pillars are made from aluminum and can be shaved down quite easily with a file so no elaborate machinery is necessary. As for drilling the holes larger, a drill press is preferred but a hand drill will suffice - the existing hole will guide the bit.

lee1000
07-04-2018, 09:04 AM
Don't see the need for adjustable pillars, they still install the same as regular pillars. Most standard pillars are made from aluminum and can be shaved down quite easily with a file so no elaborate machinery is necessary. As for drilling the holes larger, a drill press is preferred but a hand drill will suffice - the existing hole will guide the bit.

Yeah I ordered some standard ones from eBay. All the adjustable ones I've found will be too short. I believe they need to be around 1.5" since I'm replacing the Savage pillars/bosses.