PDA

View Full Version : Savage Mod 10 PC .223 problems

LuvmyLRP
06-28-2018, 11:39 PM
I found a used Mod 10 pc in .223 Rem on the used rack of my local gun dealer and was impressed by the heavy accustock and trigger. Since I already swear by Savage bolt guns, it was a no brainer for the asking price. I scoped it with a SWFA 10/42 Mil Dot and gathered up a variety of loads that I have perfected for other .223s. Everything looked good and off to the range we went. The first day's results were not very good at 100 yds, so I didn't try longer range. What I did notice though was that I would get jams feeding into the chamber. Rounds coming from the magazine would hit above the chamber and jam. No amount of adjustment to the magazine helped the problem. The second problem was that the cases would not eject. Spent brass would extract, but not eject. I called Savage and ordered a new ejector spring and magazine. They were out of mags, but sent me a new ejector spring. I replaced the spring and it had no effect on the ejection. Looking closer at the cycle, I noticed that the brass was coming out of the extractor before it cleared the port. The extractor is working fine. I looked for anything that may be stripping the brass from the bolt, but found nothing. Does it with or without the mag in or out. I have continued to run ladders for different bullets and powders, but haven't found the right one yet. Has anyone else had these problems, and is there a fix?

kcb38
06-29-2018, 01:41 AM
Not sure about the .223 but my 6.5 CM did the same thing. It would drop the case as soon as it pulled it clear of the chamber. I installed a SSS Improved Extractor Kit and it fixed the issue. Extraction is 100% and it ejects with authority. Sorry I have nothing to add on your feeding issue.

LuvmyLRP
06-29-2018, 07:20 AM
Thanks KCB38:
This is just a frustrating thing to deal with. I'm having thoughts of just putting it back on the used rack. I had a gun shop for years, but this one has me buffaloed. It must be a problem with this individual because I don't think that Savage would market an unreliable tactical(which it seems to be) weapon. If a rifle is just used to punch paper, is it still a weapon?

drybean
06-29-2018, 08:46 AM
replace the extractor detent ball with a .140 ball
should fix your problems

LuvmyLRP
06-29-2018, 08:51 AM
I'm new to this forum and did not notice the similar threads list at the bottom of the page. After reading former comments on this problem, it seems that this problem has been around a long time. No one seems to have found the answer to the extraction problem. Some of the responders suggested that the bolt head may have an oversized cartridge base recess in the bolt face and that changing brass manufacturers might help. After loading 10 different dummy rounds, I have found that all the manufacturers are equal opportunity problems. I have another Mod 10 .223, but it has never given the least extraction/ejection problem. The one thing that I have noticed is that the Mod 10 PC has a 3.00" ejection port and my old faithful Mod 10? has a 2.5" ejection port. The PC also has a block in the magazine to shorten the space. I am not familiar with how the models are numbered, but this could also be the cause of my feed problem. Seems to be a kind of FrankenSavage. I had an old mod 110 .223 that had a mag block, but I would expect that for a long action. I am convinced now to look at the action length before thinking about another Savage .223