PDA

View Full Version : Removing wood from Boyd’s stock to accommodate an fcp barrel

Bjkx4
06-28-2018, 12:17 PM
I am the proud new owner of a 10 FCP-SR 24” in .308. My problem is that I’m not finding any stocks under $300 that are worth a flip, that I like, and that will accommodate my heavy barrel. I really like the Boyd’s Prairie Hunter, but the barrel channel will will need to be widened. Their specs say it’s for a barrel no wider than 3/4”, whereas my barrel is 1” at the measured area(9” from action).
My question is...
How difficult is it for the average Joe to widen that channel without compromising the structural integrity of the remaining wood laminate, and is there a site devoted to that kind of instruction? OR...Is it one of those things best left to an experienced gunsmith?

This may be a no-brainer for a lot of you folks, but the last bolt action I bought was 17 years ago, and the last Stevens Savage I had was purchased in 1973. Things have changed tremendously in the gun world. Back in my day there were only a couple flavors of ammo, 95% of which was 30-06 and a few 308’s, and your choice in rifles was pretty much limited to the R700, the W70, and the lever action 30-30’s.
I’ve built quite a few AR’s, but I’ve never worked on a bolt gun, so I appreciate yall’s patience and assistance. Thank you!

SageRat Shooter
06-28-2018, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the board... I have the Prairie hunter stock from Boyds and I can tell you that it won't have enough meat around the barrel channel to accommodate a Heavy barrel. Best you can fit in it is a Light Varmint contour (Criterion barrel Contour). You'll want to look at the Pro Varmint, or Feather Weight Thumbhole stocks to accommodate the bull barrel. The process of opening the barrel channel is easy... You just need a 5/8" dowel and a few sheets of sandpaper... The rest is all elbow grease.

celltech
06-28-2018, 01:52 PM
I just did a Boyds featherweight thumbhole to hold a varmint profile. It was not hard at all. I wrapped the new barrel in a layer of painters tape and then used it as the mold for some 60 grit sandpaper. I used it to see what was hitting first and took a dremel to those spots for quick removal. Then just a process of going back and forth until I had the fit I wanted.

LVLAaron
07-01-2018, 10:01 PM
Use a deepset socked wrapped in 60 or 80 grit sandpaper.