PDA

View Full Version : Which scope offset to use?

grover1a
06-27-2018, 09:03 AM
I have a Savage Model 11 in .243 which I really like. The problem is I would normally shoot right handed, but have recently lost most vision in my right eye. I would still like to shoot right handed but using my left eye. Is there an offset mount that would allow the use of my left eye for shooting? While I can try and shoot left handed using the open sights, scoped sight are definitely a major problem. Thanks for any comments or advice.

celltech
06-27-2018, 10:44 AM
Look at something like a GG-1131. So it can be done, but it really hangs the scope out there...sorry for the eye issues.

JeepsAndGuns
06-27-2018, 12:25 PM
I am in the same boat as you. I had a accident in my early 20's that left me with a blurry spot in the center of my vision of my right eye. This made trying to aim a gun (open sights or scope) using my right eye not possible.
Using a handgun is not hard, I still hold them right handed, I just aim with my left eye.
Rifles and other shoulder fired guns is a different story. I had to re learn and re train myself all over again to learn how to shoot left handed. My best recommendation is to forget about a offset scope that would make the gun useless for any one but you, and simply learn to shoot left handed.
Trust me when I say I have been there. It is not easy, and it is not quick. Your not going to learn it and be good at it in a day. I was pretty devastated after my accident and though my days of shooting were over. After some time, I came to my senses and said I was not going to let this stop me. So I practiced, and practiced till I got used to it. At first it is awkward, unnatural feeling, you will not like it, you will want to give up. But don't, stay at it and keep practicing. You will start getting used to it and start getting better at it. After some time, it will become second nature and you will not even feel like anything is different.
Yes working the bolt on a right handed gun is a little awkward, but you can get used to it and there are a few different techniques to use. I have also built a custom savage on a left handed action, and am working on my second one as well. However these are the only two left handed guns I have.
Hopefully this helps you out some.

grover1a
06-27-2018, 01:54 PM
I appreciate the replies I've received. It seems I'll probably go to left handed shooting. I'm already shooting my pistols with the left eye and it is perfectly acceptable to me as I'm still using a right hand hold. However, for some unknown reason, when shooting left handed with a scope mounted rifle, the scope is nowhere in focus and cannot come into focus unless I move my head back and forth or side to side. Open sights seem normal when aiming. Any suggestions?

grover1a
06-27-2018, 02:41 PM
This is somewhat embarrassing, but I think I know what my scope problem is. The scope was set up for 300 yards for the F class matches. I tried to shoot at 100 yards when I switched to shooting left handed. Unfortunately, I didn't take into account for the focus and magnification being so far out of adjustment that I thought I had a serious problem. At least now I know I don't need an offset mount. Thanks to all who replied.

JeepsAndGuns
06-28-2018, 12:15 PM
Good luck and just keep at it. I think it took me several months to a year to get to where I felt comfortable shooting left handed.