PDA

View Full Version : Using spotting scope to see bullet holes at 600 yds... possible?

Pages : 1 [2]

Robinhood
08-12-2018, 09:28 AM
Caldwell has made quality imaging cheaper than what most guys can build.

yobuck
08-12-2018, 09:37 AM
A spotting scope will allow for seeing hits on targets even at 1000 yds on the white part of the target, (on some days).
And it need not be the highest cost scope in order to do it. On the good days (with no mirage) 20 to 30 power will do it.
More power actually increases the problem, and a larger objective lens on the scope wont improve the situation.
The primary purpose of a larger objective is to allow more light to enter the scope, but on good clear days you wont notice the difference
between a 60 mm and an 80 mm objective for viewing. I would advise a camera system for what your trying to do over a scope.
As for the low life that shot your camera device, thats what many public ranges have become. Im surprised you found something to hang a target on. You shoot groups, but lots of others just shoot things.

ToolAA
08-12-2018, 10:26 AM
A spotting scope will allow for seeing hits on targets even at 1000 yds on the white part of the target, (on some days).
And it need not be the highest cost scope in order to do it. On the good days (with no mirage) 20 to 30 power will do it.
More power actually increases the problem, and a larger objective lens on the scope wont improve the situation.
The primary purpose of a larger objective is to allow more light to enter the scope, but on good clear days you wont notice the difference
between a 60 mm and an 80 mm objective for viewing. I would advise a camera system for what your trying to do over a scope.
As for the low life that shot your camera device, thats what many public ranges have become. Im surprised you found something to hang a target on. You shoot groups, but lots of others just shoot things.

Just asking for some clarification are you talking steel or paper at 1000yds. From my own experience, I can see impacts on steel at 1100yds using my cheap 80mm dia scope for sure. However I had the opportunity to look through a $4500 Swarovski at a long range match and it was much clearer than my $400 scope but I just cant see how a bullet hole on paper would be visible at 1000yds.

Also to add to your comment about someone shooting my target cam, there is more drama to to the story. I rebuilt the thing in a new much smaller case. I was so proud of my achievement. I was teaching myself to use a new 3d modeling software and the project really helped me improve my skill. The new result was much smaller, lighter and worked even better.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180812/c09d5e6949b4695258e434f700c674bd.jpg

Then the first day I took it out to the range I was testing some new 300 blackout loads. I had a baffle strike which sent my projectile about 6ft off course and shot a hole right through the new camera.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180812/619cd5f955fd781239ccd353985439ed.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180812/9687a8cde7ac1579a2bae410e24d269d.jpg

Oh well back to the drawing board. The new design will allow me to place a steel plate at the back of the case to at least protect the camera and battery. I’m working on the new one now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robinhood
08-12-2018, 11:16 AM
And it need not be the highest cost scope in order to do it.

Not on the Gulf coast 350 days of the year.

yobuck
08-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Not on the Gulf coast 350 days of the year.
I don't doubt your word on that. Looking through a fishbowl lol.
I was referring to paper targets in my prior post, but no doubt it wouldn't matter.
One of the problems today is that pretty much all spotting scopes regardless of cost are only available with zoom eyepieces.
By and large, zoom eyepieces aren't as clear as standard fixed power ones. Im told by friends that some are on the higher priced scopes like Swarovski, but I haven't personally tested that. You can definatly improve the viewing quality of a scope by changing the quality of the eyepiece. For the vast majority of viewing, the zooms work fine, but when they don't, you do the same as you do when testing loads, you find something that does. We need to count points on bucks in PA before we shoot. In our area of the state it must have at least 3 on at least one side. So if and when an opportunity comes along, your great gun and shooting ability are placed on hold till you find out.
And its very likely the buck just might get tired of waiting.
BTW, If you think one of those big expensive Swaros is good, try one on each eye.