PDA

View Full Version : using NSS action wrench

old_dood
06-17-2018, 10:54 AM
I've already changed barrels on both my PTA's a number of times. I've always used the front action hole which required removal of the front scope mount. since both my actions have the 3.44" bolt spacing, one left port and one dual port, I wonder if it's detrimental to use the middle action hole to mount the wrench. The benefit to that being not having to remove the scope mount.

Robinhood
06-17-2018, 01:21 PM
The PTA is stronger than the standard action, however I personally think that having that wrench closer to the nut is the safest route

short round
06-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Probably good idea to remove front mount, the front mount screw may be long enough that it may damage barrel threads.

mnbogboy2
06-18-2018, 11:20 PM
Somewhere in an old post there was a picture of an action wrench that was milled out to clear the scope mount. I have often thought about doing this with the only downfall being when an attack is made on one of the gorilla applied nuts (grip surface would be reduced).
Randy

old_dood
06-25-2018, 10:28 AM
Probably good idea to remove front mount, the front mount screw may be long enough that it may damage barrel threads.

don't understand. anyway, I used the bottom middle screw on my left-only port action after sliding the scope off. Since that action only has a left port only, the action wrench is supported nearly all the way around. The heavy bolts on the tool really don't have to be tightened all that much once the center screw is into the action. When done, the scope slid back on just as easily as it came off. Obviously, this can't be done with any action which is totally open on the top. Kicking myself for every time I took the front mount off.