PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Model 99 .30-30. Virtually new.

Muddly
06-14-2018, 04:34 PM
Scored an absolute beauty couple days ago.
She has a 22 inch barrel, front sight base integral with the barrel. White metal bead front sight. Semi buckhorn rear. Schnabel forend and pistol grip butt. Uncheckered with steel buttplate. Excepting one small scuff on the barrel, wood and metal finish is just about 100%.
Serial number 37603x, which should be 1937, if I read correctly. There is what appears to be a D stamped on the lever boss.
The best part, other than her being a 30-30, is her bore is perfect. She had some pale green dusty copper fouling, which came out with just a touch of Hoppes. Rifling is knife edge sharp. And, she's accurate! 3 shot 50 yard groups hover around the inch mark, overlap perfectly and maintain a very consistent point of impact, warm or cold cold, clean or fouled. The only thing is with the sights at their lowest, she hits 9 3/16 inches high at 50. Easy fix. Am looking for a good aperture for her.
Got her for $460. Still can't believe that! My good fortune.
What Version of the 99 would she be? Thanks.

Big Al1
06-14-2018, 06:42 PM
Sounds nice, but we need pics for proof!:) And it would help with the ID, too!

Muddly
06-14-2018, 07:33 PM
Will try. Never had much luck posting pics.

Fireball
06-19-2018, 02:07 PM
Pre war EG

Muddly
06-20-2018, 02:18 PM
With much anxiety, I took her to pieces for a good check up, cleaning and lube.
I found nothing wrong other than this chore probably hadn't been done since she left Utica! She was bone dry inside and kinda dusty. But no rust anywhere. I used some only grease on the bolt/ lever track, sears and where the tail of the bolt rides on the frame. To say she is slick is a gross understatement. The trigger pull has very much improved. The dear surfaces are very smooth. But the lube lightened things up quite nicely.
I put some BLO on the inletting,as both were very dry, and rubbed some on the exterior too. Linseed oil smells SO good... I have some old Hoppes. You know, the stuff that is unkind to livers, and I swabbed her out with it. Now the man cave smells of old Hopped and linseed oil. Life is indeed good.
Btw. The wood and buttplate are numbered to the rifle. But under the plate are the letters EC. Definately a C and not a G. What do these letters mean?

Muddly
06-20-2018, 02:19 PM
I hate auto correct... Moly grease