PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a SA 4.5 screw spacing stock to fit a 4.4 action.

atl5029
06-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Hi Guys. Been a member here for a while, but this might be my first post. I've built a few savage rifles in my day, but I've finally come to a question where I could use some help. Here's what I have going on...

I have a Stevens 200 short action build I put together in 358 Win that I am thinking about switching over to 308 and make it into a lightweight hunting rifle for climbing mountains out west. I thought it would be a fun experiment to find a cheap take off wood stock for a savage short action and see how light I could get it and then paint it. Problem is, finding a cheap take off stock to fit my action, which is a center feed 4.4" screw spacing action, has been difficult. I have seen several deals on stocks for the Gen 1 4.5" spacing, and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to modify the stock to fit my action. My initial thoughts were to to fill the front action screw hole with a wood plug or epoxy, and then drill a new hole. I imagine the recess for the recoil lug might also need extended to the rear a bit to account for the slightly shorter action length. What I'm not sure of is the magazine. Those 4.5 actions were all staggered feed, right? What kind of magazine mods will I need to do if it is a bottom metal type stock, or a blind mag? Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks guys!

jpdown
06-07-2018, 05:08 PM
The older Savage SA stagger feed (SF) hardwood walnut or birch) stocks are going to have a blind magazine. They will work on Stevens 200 center feed action if you move the front stock hole as you have proposed. The recoil lug spacing is the same. The blind magazine well is oversized in the older stocks, since the SF magazine was attached to the action. Therefore your have to position the CF magazine box in the well to keep the follower spring from pushing it around. I put 4 small balls of plumber's epoxy in the corner of the blind well to make a base, and correctly position the CF magazine box so that the feed lips were positioned correctly. A Savage walnut or hardwood blind magazine stock is going to weigh between 2 to 2.5 lbs when done. The laminated stocks weigh more. Savage synthetic stocks are the lightest at around 1.6 lbs. The lightest Savage wood stock available is the walnut LWH at around 1.7 lbs. Barrel length and contour are also a big part of the equation if a LW carry rifle is the objective.

tobnpr
06-07-2018, 08:07 PM
If you want light, forget wood- both hardwood and laminates are going to be pounds heavier than composite.
Check Fleabay for a takeoff, they're available regularly.

Years ago I bought a Model 10 FM Sierra Lightweight for a donor action...stock practically weighed nothing and it's pencil contour 20" barrel shot 5" groups at 600 yards- until it got hot...