PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire Savage 340? Question

Drm50
06-05-2018, 08:17 PM
I just bought a lot of guns and one of them is a Savage 340 type 22 hornet. This rifle is missing magazine. While looking
for magazine I found there is more than one series. There is no markings on barrel except proof tested 22 Hornet. Rear
sight has knurled elevation wheel. Also has Weaver side mount, would info I need be under mount? I hate to remove it
if not necessary. Screws are going to be a PIA to get out. Any help appreciated.

olskool
06-11-2018, 06:36 AM
it may have info is under the mount. it sounds like you have an earlier one judging by the wheel sight. this may give you some good info,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20Articles/stevens_325_savage_340_bolt_act.html

are you the DRM50 on the marlin forum?

Drm50
06-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Yes, on Marlin forum. I got a magazine yesterday. The gun was grungy when I got it. Was going to flip it because I only bought it in a lot
to get what I wanted. I just withdrew it for sale. I ended up cleaning it up myself and decided to shoot it. Gun in very good shape as far
as bore & action. I think it was polished to reblue, the gunk was some kind of grease that turned to rubber. Cleaned up no rust at all. Will
do a cold blue on it and refinish stock.

Sidewinder
06-26-2018, 04:01 PM
I just bought a lot of guns and one of them is a Savage 340 type 22 hornet. This rifle is missing magazine. While looking
for magazine I found there is more than one series. There is no markings on barrel except proof tested 22 Hornet. Rear
sight has knurled elevation wheel. Also has Weaver side mount, would info I need be under mount? I hate to remove it
if not necessary. Screws are going to be a PIA to get out. Any help appreciated.

Drm50, that rear sight knurled elevation wheel indicates the rear sight is a "Dockendorf" sight. Was told by top notch smith that that sight in used condition is worth about $50.