PDA

View Full Version : Choate Tactical stock questions

Caliper
06-05-2018, 12:12 PM
I'm looking to upgrade the stock on my Model 10 .308. Had been looking at the Boyds Pro Varmint, but also noticed the Choate Tactical without the fancy cheek piece is affordable enough plus it gets me a metal bedding block that won't care about being drug through rain or mud. I'm hoping folks with the Choate stock can help me out with a few questions on this part.

So, my rifle currently has PTG bottom metal that I'd like to carry over. Will it work to inlet the Choate to the PTG metal?

Also, if I've got low mounts on my scope (it's got a 3-9x32 and sits close to the action), will the Choate stock have a high enough cheek piece, or will it need a riser?

TXRoadlizard
06-05-2018, 01:12 PM
I hope the folks at Choate can answer your questions quickly. I slapped a Choate Tactical on my 12FV and am super-happy with the stock. It is solid as a rock! I've got low mounts on my 3-12x44 and don't need a cheek piece at all, but not sure if difference in 44mm vs 32mm would cause a difference for you.

Blckwlf
06-05-2018, 01:56 PM
I have a Choate SA 4.4" top bolt release with a riser I'll sell ya, PT-G should be able to inlet it for their DBM but they will charge you.

SCAST65
06-05-2018, 02:47 PM
When I was first looking at Savages, I 'knew' I wanted a detachable magazine. No doubt about it, had to have one,,, just because,,,

Ordered a 12 FCV.

Quickly found that aftermarket stock options were somewhat limited for a bottom bolt release w/oem detachable mag. (Ended up getting the Choate Tactical as well)

Down the road a little further, and as I only shoot from a bench,,,,, the magazine was more trouble than it was worth vs. 'single feeding'

Next expenditure was a 'Fred Sled' from SSS. (A module with a feed ramp that inserts into the magwell in lieu of the OEM magazine)

Drop 'em in on top. One at a time. Feeds like a dream, and, at least for my purposes, I believe I'd rather have 'built in' magazine on the next rifle,,, (More stock options and easy to add a feed ramp for 'single shootin')

That's a 180 degree turn from what I 'knew' I wanted before I bought the 12,,,,,.

Caliper
06-06-2018, 08:25 AM
I have a Choate SA 4.4" top bolt release with a riser I'll sell ya, PT-G should be able to inlet it for their DBM but they will charge you.

I'd be interested, if it's in left hand? I've got a strong left eye dominance that led me to switch "teams" because I just shoot better with that eye.

When I was first looking at Savages, I 'knew' I wanted a detachable magazine. No doubt about it, had to have one,,, just because,,,

Ordered a 12 FCV.

Quickly found that aftermarket stock options were somewhat limited for a bottom bolt release w/oem detachable mag. (Ended up getting the Choate Tactical as well)

Down the road a little further, and as I only shoot from a bench,,,,, the magazine was more trouble than it was worth vs. 'single feeding'

Next expenditure was a 'Fred Sled' from SSS. (A module with a feed ramp that inserts into the magwell in lieu of the OEM magazine)

Drop 'em in on top. One at a time. Feeds like a dream, and, at least for my purposes, I believe I'd rather have 'built in' magazine on the next rifle,,, (More stock options and easy to add a feed ramp for 'single shootin')

That's a 180 degree turn from what I 'knew' I wanted before I bought the 12,,,,,.

Thanks for the input, but I almost never shoot from a bench if there's another option. This particular rifle is used for Project Appleseed shoots and also intended for more dynamic bolt gun work, so mag changes and quick reloading is a thing. I've actually already got the PTG bottom metal inlet to the factory stock, and the forend reinforced with steel rods bedded in epoxy. I'm just finding that for positional shooting, the tapering forend and swept back pistol grip that look so sleek causes the rifle to shift around more than I'd like, thus why my eye is wandering to more squared off stocks.

SCAST65
06-06-2018, 09:10 AM
This particular rifle is used for Project Appleseed shoots and also intended for more dynamic bolt gun work, so mag changes and quick reloading is a thing.

Completely understandable!!!!

The Choate is pretty heavy, but its very rigid and I like the V-block design.

Blckwlf
06-06-2018, 05:43 PM
It is not... bummer.