PDA

View Full Version : Choate stock question

JeepLife
06-04-2018, 03:19 PM
I was thinking about purchasing this stock for my savage 12fv with the varmint barrel.

https://www-eabco-net.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.eabco.net/Savage-Detachable-Magazine-Conversion-Stock--Short-Action_p_15372.html?amp_js_v=a1&amp_gsa=1&amp=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eabco.net%2FSavage-Detachable-Magazine-Conversion-Stock--Short-Action_p_15372.html

It says in the description that it is for savage 10 series but I contacted Arthur and they said it would fit the varmint/heavy barrel. I have too bolt release and my rifle.is centerfeed. Is this a correct fit for the 12 as there are so many configurations for short action?

Robinhood
06-04-2018, 07:09 PM
It fits the 10/11/12/14/16 top release actions as long as it is for a top release and the action screw spacing is correct. According to a knowledgeable member it will not fit the Lightweight Hunter actions however. I can't tell you why.

I don't know the FV's magazine configuration and if it transferable/ direct fit to other savage factory inlets, but if it is there are other Choate options

JeepLife
06-04-2018, 08:22 PM
The magazine from what I read is attached to the stock. This stock kit has the bottom metal needed to convert to mag fed. I just wasn't sure if it would just drop in because the fv is basically just a Cabela's exclusive of the normal 12 with a varmint barrel and blind mag. So if that is the case I assume it would fit but how would I know if it's the lightweight hunter?

Robinhood
06-04-2018, 09:35 PM
Your rifle is not a lightweight hunter.

TXRoadlizard
06-05-2018, 01:16 PM
The magazine from what I read is attached to the stock. This stock kit has the bottom metal needed to convert to mag fed. I just wasn't sure if it would just drop in because the fv is basically just a Cabela's exclusive of the normal 12 with a varmint barrel and blind mag. So if that is the case I assume it would fit but how would I know if it's the lightweight hunter?

I got that exact package from EABCO for my 12FV in .223. It dropped right in with no problems, just use the screws that you get with the bottom metal. My ONLY complaint was it took about a month to get it to me, and I'm impatient by nature.

JeepLife
06-05-2018, 08:30 PM
You replied on my last post when I asked for stock options with this exact stock choice. After doing more research and reading the responses, I was set on this particular stock but just wanted to be sure it would fit since I read a few posts that made things a little confusing. I actually took the rifle out last weekend and got a 1" group. Would have been better but I had 1 flyer. It shipped today so I should get it this week.