PDA

View Full Version : Sticky mag in Boyd's stock

onespeedbiker
06-01-2018, 03:58 PM
I have a Savage Axis ii in 308. I bought a classic Boyd's stock and with some minor fitting it is a solid fit, with one exception. I have 2 OEM magazines; one that came with the rifle and a second I bought. Both lock in with a solid click. However, only when the bolt is open, one of the magazines hangs up on the way out. The magazine in question releases from the locking plate, but won't come out. However if I push on the top of the magazines through the ejection port, it pops right out. I have tried comparing the two magazines, but I can't find any differences. I have also tried filing down various spots on the magazine to no avail. Today I just ordered another OEM magazines not only to see if the issue is a one off, but I've filled down the magazine so much I'm concerned it might be too loose in the mag well.

ohihunter2014
06-01-2018, 08:40 PM
In for this one as i have the same stock and same issue.

DaveB
06-03-2018, 01:08 PM
A lot of views no comments. I will jump in.
it sounds like from your description that you are trying to pull the magazine straight out.
Mine are a hinge type magazine. when I push the release the release end should come down first and the magazine removed by slightly pulling forward.
let me know I may have missed the problem completely
Thanks Dave

DocScott
06-05-2018, 01:49 AM
I have two Axis rifles with Boyd stocks...a .223 and a .308 HB. I put Boyd's thumbhole stocks on each of them and had the same issue with the mag not dropping when the release was pressed. Very difficult to remove the mags. As mentioned by DaveB, the mags need to "hinge down" at the front to release. On both of these stocks, I cured my problem completely by carefully removing material from the back of the magazine hole in the stock. As received, that was a vertical surface and it needs to have about a 1/16 inch removed from the bottom edge...tapering toward the top. When released, the mag needs to be able to pivot down a fraction. The pivot point being the back latching projection on the mag. If it can't pivot just a tiny bit, it won't drop. Both of mine now behave normally. My own procedure was to file/rasp a bit, then try it. When it dropped freely, I stopped. It didn't take much. No mods to the mags were made.

1bdvet
06-05-2018, 11:22 AM
I have two Axis rifles with Boyd stocks...a .223 and a .308 HB. I put Boyd's thumbhole stocks on each of them and had the same issue with the mag not dropping when the release was pressed. Very difficult to remove the mags. As mentioned by DaveB, the mags need to "hinge down" at the front to release. On both of these stocks, I cured my problem completely by carefully removing material from the back of the magazine hole in the stock. As received, that was a vertical surface and it needs to have about a 1/16 inch removed from the bottom edge...tapering toward the top. When released, the mag needs to be able to pivot down a fraction. The pivot point being the back latching projection on the mag. If it can't pivot just a tiny bit, it won't drop. Both of mine now behave normally. My own procedure was to file/rasp a bit, then try it. When it dropped freely, I stopped. It didn't take much. No mods to the mags were made.

Thanks for the tip, going to get my file, out, having the same concern, also have Boyds thumb hole stock.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/dscn3732_dd023d7590323f3a921d14d20974812d2549c532. jpg

ebgb68
06-21-2018, 09:47 PM
When Boyds cuts the mag well they leave a burr on the bottom edge. I normally trim this off with my pocket knife and if it needs more room like mentioned above bevel the edge . If your torquing the plastic Boyds magazine catch it can cause problems.

charlie b
09-02-2018, 02:37 PM
You can also try the lipstick thing. Apply to various parts of the mag to see where it drags. For those without lipstick access you can use crayon's. Smoking is good if the part dragging is not plastic. ;)

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk