PDA

View Full Version : savage edge 308 - bases? rings? want scope low as possible

arctic388
09-28-2010, 10:19 AM
I bought a savage edge 308. it came with bases. went to put Leupold rifleman scope 3x9-40 and its to short to fit in rings.

took it to local store and the guy wasn't very familiar with his merchandise so i ended up with Millett HIGH angle loc rings. went to shoot gun and the scope is just to high. every gun I've had before had the scope as close to the barrel as possible.

i really cant find specific information on bases and rings to use.

will weaver 402 front base work on edge? if that worked could i use any LOW rings? I am trying to sell the rifleman and get a new redfield.

why would a budget gun like the edge not accept a popular size scope with the bases they supply. that just doesn't make since to me.

i bought this rifle because of the price thinking all i needed was rings. whats a good inexpensive way to mount the scope?

Thanks

sha-ul
09-29-2010, 12:22 AM
what base& rings do you have now?

I have an older flat back the the rings were right on the bells of the scope with no room for movement, I turned them around& now have if memory serves 3/8-1/2" of scoot.

arctic388
09-29-2010, 10:05 AM
The bases i have now are what came on the gun when i bought it. they look like regular weaver style bases. the notch on the two are already facing each other so i cant flip one around that would make it longer and i need shorter. that lead to the question about he weaver 402 base cause it would fit a 110 but don't know if it would fit my edge. if it did it would have the additional length i need i think. then i would be able to use any weaver style ring i wanted to.

that being said the EGW rail mount is catching my eye but the whole purpose of the edge is a budget rifle and if i had known i would have to buy a $40.00 rail to mount a scope i don't think i would have bought this particular model. I am even trying to justify the rail by thinking it would stiffen the action but my first three shots were touching each other. so i really don't need to stiffen anything.

*update - i went back to where i bought the high rings to get a refund and to look at the 402 base. i took my base off to compare. the 402 is NOT the correct base to use. on this trip i met a different guy that said he had done a lot of mounts on the edge and he said i needed 415 bases. all they had was silver in stock so i compared mine to it and its thicker but looked like it could work. i would have to use two of them and take what came with the gun off.i still cant understand why the ones that came with the gun wont work with standard size scopes and rings. they ordered some 415's and since they are 4.99 each and now i am planning on trying a centerpoint 4x16-40 scope that comes with rings to try to keep this a real "budget" rifle. my plan is to sell the rifleman scope and if the centerpoint doesnt do what i need get a redfield to try it.

arctic388
10-13-2010, 09:54 AM
I went back and got (2) 415M bases and got some weaver quad lock rings and mounted the Rifleman. everything looks good and scope fits now.

went to another store and someone else was looking to buy a Edge and they mocked up a 4-12 Nikon and it fit but i ask him to see a 3-9 Nikon and it wouldn't fit. it just doesn't make sense to me why Savage wouldn't make the factory bases short enough for a majority of scopes. maybe I'm in a unique area because very few people in my area use anything other than a 3-9.

tiny68
10-13-2010, 11:25 AM
You can always drill and tap a new hole to move the mounts were you want. All you have to do is drill one new hole. I've done it. Scopes vary a lot in dimensions. From compacts to high powers with really long tubes. There is no one size fits all. I like to use one weaver style rails with Burris Zee Signature rings. Easy on/off and swaps when they all have the same bases. Glad you found a fix. Tim