PDA

View Full Version : Small shank WSM

parkj5
05-20-2018, 06:22 AM
I fond a small shank wsm barrel i would love to have. I know savage wsm barrels are large shank . Would it be any issues with the small shank barrel ? Thanks

olddav
05-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Just an uninformed opinion, Using a small shank barrel chambered in a WSM results in a smaller margin of safety. That is not to say it is unsafe, and Savage built rifles chambered in WSM using small shank barrels in the past, so there's that.

yobuck
05-20-2018, 04:19 PM
7 or 8 years ago I found a used lefty model 11 in 243 for $280.
A gunsmith I know talked me into turning it into a 6.5 wsm.
Short version story is, it was without a doubt the biggest gun mistake I ever made.
When single feeding the gun it shot very well, and there were no issues after 320 rounds,
EXCEPT, getting the magazine to work well was a nightmare.
When I finaly did, I couldn't wait to find the gun a new home.
Id personally pass on it and get a short mag action if you want a short mag.

parkj5
05-21-2018, 11:28 AM
Sorry for not adding all my info . I have a 112 single shot action so feeding will not be a issue..

geargrinder
05-22-2018, 12:32 AM
Just an uninformed opinion, Using a small shank barrel chambered in a WSM results in a smaller margin of safety. That is not to say it is unsafe, and Savage built rifles chambered in WSM using small shank barrels in the past, so there's that.

I agree with olddav.

In terms of the smaller margin of safety, I feel like the difference between large/small shank WSM's is similar to the safety margin of wearing 3 condoms compared to only wearing 2.

yobuck
05-22-2018, 09:31 AM
Unless your familiar with the barrel, Id be having the chamber job checked out by somebody who knows what their doing.
The original chamber job in my gun had a pretty tight neck, which I didn't want to begin with.
It caused me to turn brass which I didn't want to do, or have pressure problems with the hotter loads.
Not much point to having a 6.5 wsm, if its loaded to 260 performance level.
I ended up taking the gun to a different smith to open the neck some and fix the magazine.
After that, it was an entirely different gun.