PDA

View Full Version : Dimensional Info on Target Acrions/Barrels?

rckendall
05-18-2018, 12:59 PM
I recently ordered a 12 F Class in 6br and anxiously waiting for it. In a discussion with a buddy a couple days ago, he mentioned that a barrel that uses a nut, instead of a shoulder, would only have a 1" barrel max. I know that the Target Action takes a large shank barrel, but what is the size of a bull barrel for it?

And, is the OD of the action larger than the standard 12 series actions?

Just curious.
Thanks in advance,

Richard

SageRat Shooter
05-18-2018, 01:02 PM
http://northlandshooterssupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Criterion-Savage-Contours.pdf

This might give you an idea of the dimensions that are available for barrels that use the barrel nut.

rckendall
05-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Yeah, that is what I was looking for as far as the barrels are concerned, and it seems that the bull barrels are tapered somewhat, not like a bull barrel for a shouldered barrel that would be 1.250 for it's full length.

So, my buddy was pretty close in his statement.

Still curious about the OD of the action itself, but thanks for steering me to this info.

Richard

jerry shaw
05-19-2018, 12:40 PM
The receiver OD is the same as that of conventional receivers. The barrel OD for these receivers is, in fact, greater than the OD for conventional receivers. That's why they're called large shank receivers.
The screw placement on target receivers differs from the screw placement on conventional receivers.
You should have good results with your rifle. I have several target receivers - some Palmas, an LRP, some LRPVs and a F/TR - and have been really pleased with them all. And if you don't like the barrel that came on your rifle, you should sell it to me.
Good luck

JS

rckendall
05-19-2018, 01:15 PM
Jerry,
Thanks for the info and the offer. �� I really don't think I will be disappointed with any part of this rifle.

The discussion with my buddy came up when he pointed out that a shouldered bull barrel was larger in diameter than a barrel nut bull barrel and it appears that he was correct. But I really don't think the difference in stiffness, especially in this cartridge (6br), will make any noticeable difference. Maybe in a 30WM or something other magnum cartridge the difference would be meaningful.

Thanks again,
Richard

Robinhood
05-19-2018, 09:08 PM
Savage Reciever: 1.350"
Remington barrel tenon: 1 1/16 -16 TPI
Savage small barrel tenon: 1 1/16 - 20 TPI
Savage large barrel tenon: 1 1/8 - 20 TPI

Savage PTA's come in a couple of screw configurations. One is a standard 4.4 spacing with an extra screw in the middle and there is a different screw spacing that is 3 screws spaced different than any other Savage rifle