PDA

View Full Version : Need some LH stock help

ofdscooby
05-17-2018, 11:20 AM
I have posted up before looking for a little help with this stock and forgive me I have done a ton of searches to try and avoid asking for help unless I absolutely needed to so please bear with me. I have an older LH 110 flat back with blind mag. The stock is not right I have installed pillars and bedded numerous other rifles and I’ve never had the problems that I have with this stock. The stock is from stockdade and I may send it back but I would really just like to put it in a simple wood stock and pillar it. I've been in contact with Boyd’s and they just don’t offer a stock for this configuration unless I change the blind mag to some sort of bottom metal but I don’t know what bottom metal will wor with this rifle. So my big question is which bottom metal would work with this rifle either magazine or hinged floor plate I don’t care? And where can I get it?

SageRat Shooter
05-17-2018, 11:39 AM
If you Call Savage directly and provide them with your Serial#, they may be able to tell you which bottom metal will be compatible. I'm lefty too, and I went with a 111 with DBM. I ordered a LH Pro Varmint from Boyd's and ordered the "bottom metal for wood stocks" from Savage. Ran me about $150 for the bottom metal.

Robinhood
05-17-2018, 08:18 PM
What is wrong with the stock. I have had to take out all of the paint in the bed area to get it to sit right in stockade stocks.

ofdscooby
05-17-2018, 10:25 PM
I don’t really know I’ve bedded it 3 times and it will not sit right when done. I’m using the same steps that I’ve done my other McMillans and laminate stocks. I think the thing is warped I may let Stockade ness with it a bit but I’m ready to toss it in the trash. If I could find another stock for it I would.

Robinhood
05-17-2018, 11:43 PM
Many people will use tape wrapped around the barrel to act as a centering rest to place the barrel in the center of the barrel channel.

J.Baker
05-18-2018, 02:16 AM
There isn't a drop-in option on Boyds website for your rifle unfortunately as they don't list anything for LH staggered feed actions. However, if this is a true long action (5.062" screw spacing) you could easily modify a stock for a newer centerfeed model to work with your rifle. All you would have to do is maybe remove a little bit of material from the sides of the magazine well area to clear the blind magazine hardware on your rifle. Screw spacing is the same on all the long actions over the years so that isn't an issue.

Select Savage > 110 Top Bolt Release > Left Hand Bolt, Long Action, Center Feed, Blind Magazine from their menu system

dillwt
05-18-2018, 01:55 PM
I second the use of boyd's stocks. Just fitted the center feed blind magazine left hand stock to a 90s era stagger feed. All I had to do was dremal out about 3/16 inch of the wood from the front of the magazine well. After that it dropped right in. Works great. The stock fits snug be not tight to the sides of the magazine. no interference on the rear of the magazine. Took about 20 minutes. look at Savage 110, Top Bolt Release, Left hand bolt, Center feed, Blind Magazine Well.

Bigguy
05-18-2018, 10:22 PM
If none of the above works for you, contact CDI.

ofdscooby
05-22-2018, 12:21 AM
Thanks guys I go with the Boyd’s option. Do I need to order a different trigger guard ?

SageRat Shooter
05-22-2018, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys I go with the Boyd’s option. Do I need to order a different trigger guard ?

I did... I went with the solid metal trigger guard and Mag well housing... That way, when you pillar bed the stock, you have metal on metal contact with your action screws.

J.Baker
05-22-2018, 10:36 AM

Shouldn't have to, but if you currently have a plastic one and want to go to metal feel free.