PDA

View Full Version : Carrying ammo loose or organized?

Pages : [1] 2

Baller
05-14-2018, 12:49 AM
I like to hike into shooting sports, so there’s some things that can be done differently with gear that makes life a little better. Concerning transporting ammo, does anyone with experience, or someone that just knows better, know if there is a downside to carrying ammo loose. The pouch I’ve got holds significantly more ammo, almost 50% more, than does an organized ammo box. Besides increased capacity with increased weight, are there any other pros/cons I don’t know of? Is it detrimental to have ammo being hiked around loose? Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

D

Here’s my loose vs. organized options.
https://s31.postimg.cc/ov96k8g0b/B6_F3_B7_ED-76_EE-4_FAE-9_D5_A-5_CD54_F1_EC0_CE.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/oihse1xqf/)

Haiku_Rodney
05-14-2018, 02:29 PM
I don't carry ammo loose when hunting because the noise the rounds make bumping into each other. There is also a safety aspect. The probability may be slim but if the bullet tip were to impact the primer......

LoneWolf
05-14-2018, 03:53 PM
If it's plinking/blazing ammo sure.... If I'm expecting it to be precision ammo that I spent hours at the bench making perfect definitely not. Just not worth it in my opinion. Hike all the way to a position just to end in frustration because of something like seating depth or concentricity getting messed up due to poor storage... My buddy at Walsh Custom Defense just released a 120rds ammo binder. It's what I'll be using for all my matches and most range trips.

Evlshnngns
05-14-2018, 03:55 PM
crimped with cannalured FMJ bullets, I would say you are GTG. Some of my dies lack enough squeeze for neck tension that I would trust it not to shift around.

Baller
05-14-2018, 08:23 PM
Interesting point. I will say, in the organized box, the rounds aren't held static and rattle up and down, perfectly along the round's axis. Thinking about it, I'd rather have another round pushing lightly on the side of another round, which is what happens carrying rounds loosely, rather than having the rounds hitting the lid directly on the nose over and over while hiking. Because of the shape of a round, in the loose bag, a round likely never has a force loaded directly on the nose, down the axis of the round. I suppose the ammo binder will remedy both situations. I checked on the web page you mentioned but they don't mention the product to speak of.

D

LoneWolf
05-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Interesting point. I will say, in the organized box, the rounds aren't held static and rattle up and down, perfectly along the round's axis. Thinking about it, I'd rather have another round pushing lightly on the side of another round, which is what happens carrying rounds loosely, rather than having the rounds hitting the lid directly on the nose over and over while hiking. Because of the shape of a round, in the loose bag, a round likely never has a force loaded directly on the nose, down the axis of the round. I suppose the ammo binder will remedy both situations. I checked on the web page you mentioned but they don't mention the product to speak of.

D

I install foam on the tops of all my ammo boxes to prevent them from bouncing around at all.

Stumpkiller
05-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Downside to carrying loose are: grit, possible increased run-out, loss. Maybe others. Do you have a separate pouch for the empties?

My hunting carry is a spare magazine or an MTM pack. When big-game hunting I usually carry only 4 to 13 rounds. Varmints - a spare 50 case in the pack. When I "patrol my perimeter" I have a single shot .223 with a spare pouch in the stock that holds 7 rounds (rigidly) and a spare MTM belt box of 20 more. 28 shots would be a LOT in a couple hours of walking.

I like the MTM Wallet. Mine holds 9 rounds and a bore snake. With the magazine I have 13 rounds. That's plenty.

Rimfire? I dump a couple 50 boxes into a belt pouch and carry loose.

Naka16
05-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Crimped/plinking ammo wouldn't be an issue other than the noise of it banging around. I don't know that I would carry my precision reloads that way though. I'm sure cheap hunting rounds should be fine.

390fe
05-15-2018, 07:46 PM
If it's plinking/blazing ammo sure.... If I'm expecting it to be precision ammo that I spent hours at the bench making perfect definitely not.

My thoughts exactly.

Robinhood
05-15-2018, 08:21 PM
Put it in a quart ziplock freezer bag or 3, roll it tight, put a rubber band around it, put it in the bag you got there and hit the trail.

LoneWolf
05-16-2018, 04:38 AM
Walsh custom Defense just released this 120rds ammo binders! Already love this thing! It actually is quite a bit smaller than I expected!

https://www.walshcustom.com/ should be up on the site soon though!

yobuck
05-16-2018, 09:51 AM
Put it in a quart ziplock freezer bag or 3, roll it tight, put a rubber band around it, put it in the bag you got there and hit the trail.

But but i always (hit the trail) in a Jeep. Would i still need the Ziplocks with rubber bands?
Dosent seem to be a very user friendly way to me anyway actually.
And what about toilet paper? How best to carry that when out on the trail?
Might be a better chance of needing that than ammo when out there on the trail.
I personally prefer those tan colored napkins from Wendys, very eco friendly.
I sometimes just order napkins at the drive thru.
I usually just stuff some in those little pockets on the doors of the Jeep so their handy if needed.
Wonder if i should keep my ammo in there instead?

Stumpkiller
05-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Is that a .338 Lapua in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Robinhood
05-16-2018, 09:43 PM
But but i always (hit the trail) in a Jeep. Would i still need the Ziplocks with rubber bands?
Dosent seem to be a very user friendly way to me anyway actually.
And what about toilet paper? How best to carry that when out on the trail?
Might be a better chance of needing that than ammo when out there on the trail.
I personally prefer those tan colored napkins from Wendys, very eco friendly.
I sometimes just order napkins at the drive thru.
I usually just stuff some in those little pockets on the doors of the Jeep so their handy if needed.
Wonder if i should keep my ammo in there instead?

Well heck yobuck thats a different problem. You can put yours in a sock and hang them off your mirror for quick access.

yobuck
05-17-2018, 09:23 AM
Well heck yobuck thats a different problem. You can put yours in a sock and hang them off your mirror for quick access.
Hey, not a bad idea, the sock could even serve double duty, might be better than using your drag rope. lol
But you know what? after 70 seasons of hunting, i never even realized this was a problem till now.
My ammo stays in the jeep for the whole season. I wonder if the overnight temp changes affect it? Nahh.

LoneWolf
05-17-2018, 09:33 AM
Hey, not a bad idea, the sock could even serve double duty, might be better than using your drag rope. lol
But you know what? after 70 seasons of hunting, i never even realized this was a problem till now.
My ammo stays in the jeep for the whole season. I wonder if the overnight temp changes affect it? Nahh.

How are you 68 (per your profile info) and have 70 seasons of hunting under your belt?

Stumpkiller
05-17-2018, 12:01 PM
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter = Four Seasons. ;-)

17-1/2 years. :distracted:

snowgetter1
05-17-2018, 01:26 PM
Unless you load your Ammo with no neck tension, plan on using the ammo pouch as a seat cushion on rocks, or using your ammo pouch as an impromptu softball for a quick game your ammo will be fine.

rosewood
05-22-2018, 02:36 PM
I install foam on the tops of all my ammo boxes to prevent them from bouncing around at all.

Makes them quieter too.

yobuck
05-22-2018, 04:22 PM
How are you 68 (per your profile info) and have 70 seasons of hunting under your belt?

Cant answer about why the profile states my age at 68.
But I can answer to being born in Philadelphia PA in April of 1935.
Started hunting in 1947, making the past season my 70TH.