PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Bolts

coorslight
05-13-2018, 05:55 AM
I have a Model 12 Target action that has a bolt face for .308, My friend has a dual port model 12 target action with a .223 bolt face, we are thinking of trading, but I really don't care for the dual port, can we just swap complete bolts, or just the bolt face, or do we have to swap complete actions.

OLEJOE
05-13-2018, 10:08 AM
If you mean you want to change bolt face size all you have to change is the bolt head. You’ll have to probably reset your firing pin protrusion. I’ve swapped bolt heads on my 12FV and it’s pretty easy. You could swap complete bolts but I think you would still need to set it up for the action you’re running it in. Someone more knowledgeable than me will probably tag in shortly.
Bolt heads are pretty cheap and if you think you might want to swap back, it might be better to just set up another one. If you change the bolt head, I recommend installing the SSS Improved Ejector/Extractor Kit. It’s 20 bucks of the best money you can spend.

Texas10
05-13-2018, 11:39 AM
Nice thing about Savage is it's modular design. You can swap bolt faces, even bolts/parts however, you'll need to set headspace again, check or reset firing pin protrusion and bolt timing too. If you're changing your own barrels, this is a no-brainer. If not, best to consult with an experienced friend.

I have considered setting up my std bolt face caliber rifles with one bolt. 22-250, 6BR, 6.5, 308 could in theory be headspaced with one common bolt, hopefully with one common rear baffle too. This would make bolt lift, cycling, and feel very consistent. And less chance of arriving at the range with the wrong bolt or no bolt in my bag.

bsekf
05-13-2018, 12:17 PM
I didn't want to mess with tearing a bolt apart so I bought a complete 223 bolt and just trade bolts in my LA stagger feeds. KISS.

Bill

coorslight
05-13-2018, 02:20 PM
They are just the actions there have never been any barrels on them

geargrinder
05-13-2018, 02:59 PM
Easiest would be to just swap complete bolts.

As stated, if you swap bolt heads, you have to check firing pin travel and protrusion. Not a big deal.

jpdown
05-13-2018, 06:25 PM
They are just the actions there have never been any barrels on them

Since the two model 12 target actions are not barreled yet, I would just swap the complete bolt between actions. Set the correct headspace when you barrel the actions.

Robinhood
05-13-2018, 09:00 PM
I agree with just swapping bolts. I would screw the action in a stock and test both bolts before I made the swap permanent. It is rare but Some bolts do operate smoother than others in different actions. I like smooth bolt action.

coorslight
05-14-2018, 05:13 AM
Thanks for all your help