PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with an old 112

khuff
09-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Just bought a old 112 (~80ish I think) in 22-250, I don't think it's ever been fired (if so not many). What the heck should I do with this "new project gun". I believe that it should be a large shank action so that opens up a new venue for me.

My Savage/Stevens now: 22-250 (112 SF), 25-06 (200 CF), 270 (200 CF), 30-06 (200 SF), 338-06(110 SF), 300WM (110 SF). I always upgrade: recoil lug, trigger guard, bolt handle, bed the action; most of the time the stock (Duramax) and barrel. The gun has the old style hardware, slotted bolt screw and philps style action screws so I plan on replacing those with the new style parts. My guns are for hunting mostly, I found this one cheap and couldn't resist (of course).

Blue Avenger
09-27-2010, 10:35 AM
I believe, if it is an 80s era it is not a large shank. Did you measure the screw spacing yet?

khuff
09-27-2010, 10:42 AM
No, I just bought it yesterday, all I've done is clean it up a bit.

Smokey262
09-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Check the bolt head nose and the end of the barrel. If those are the old style your options are limited. If it has the built-in scope mounting bases that too limits your choices.

Does it have the long mag box cutout or the short one?

hailstone
09-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Probably a E or F letter prefix on the serial number might even be a D. Definately stagger feed so that opens up some possibilities for interesting chamberings. Could do the 7 or 8mm x 57 Mausers or the 257 Roberts which is based on the 7mm Mauser case. 250 Savage is another old time hunting chambering that's still viable in todays ultra magnum climate especially for deer size game or varmits. If it is the long action with short mag cut out then your limited to the shorter cases i.e. 308 Winchester or shorter.

Believe you'll end up with more invested opening the receiver for large shank barrels that buying one already done. There's only a few chamberings that need the large shank i.e. the WSM's and RUM's if memory serves.

khuff
09-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Std barrel nut, std action spacing, target crown, removable scope bases, 3"long magazine box, "F" serial #

The stock reminds me of the Mossberg ATR100, inpossible to bed.

Kawabuggy
09-28-2010, 09:48 AM
khuff-the stocks on a Mossberg ATR are not impossible to bed.. Use a piece of balsa wood to fill up a bit of the hollowed out stock, epoxy that in place, and then bed as you normally would. I have an ATR and since it is the cheapest gun in my gun safe I chose to use it for practice on my first bedding try. It came out great, but did not improve on the accuracy as far as I can tell. The gun would easily shoot sub MOA before I touched it, and it still does after bedding it. I actually bedded forward of the recoil lug the first 1-1.5" as well.

To the OP-I doubt your recent purchase is a large shank. It is most likely a standard shank. It is probably a long action, with the bolt head that has the arm to reduce how far the bolt moves rear-ward. I think any old Savage is a great platform on which to build. You did good picking it up.